Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

so confused! feeling like a bad mother right now.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kitties, Aug 5, 2009.

1. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

I had no idea that Felix/Kitekat/Whiskas etc only had 4% meat content, this is just ridiculous! how do the companies get away with it? My cats have always eaten this or similar food. They have eaten Go Cat dried food.

Now after reading on here, I feel so bad! My cats have always been in lovely condition, shiny coats, and lively and happy, but I am now worried they havent been getting enough nutrients.

My cat is pregnant now and im just about to change her to kitten food, and plan what to give the kittens when they start to be weaned so want to get this right. Please help!!

Also why are some against dry food? I always used to just use wet food but I like to have the dry food now as well so I know if they are hungry there is always something there for them.

Please help, I want to go shopping tomorrow for her kitten food, but I am so confused right now!

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I have had cats all of my life. The first cat I had when I got married lived for 18 years and in those days it was wiskas cat food or kitty cat!!
    So ours had the wiskas, which in those days was more up market!
    we have had cats since and fed them on Felix and wiskas and two of them are both 15 years old now. However I too did not realize that there was so little meat in them that i have become a bit confused too!!
    So recently they have been eating James Wellbeloved Turkey and Rice, I cook them Chicken, also they like raw mince and they like fish.
    So i am looking also for something to replace the wiskas and felix.
    Try not to feel guilty though!!
    You are a Good mum and some poor cats out there don't get anything.

3. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

dont feel bad, unless you are a very knowledgeble person like alot on here you were not to no. before i came on here i thought life owning a cat was simpled but now i realise so many choices are out there.
    i too am feeding felix, i did change to hi-life and natures menu but both of these didnt get a very good reception with Sheldon, so i am back to felix. in my opinion id rather a cat thats fed and happy than a cat that eats coz its hungry and isnt happy, the latter is wat i had wen i went onto the other foods.

i do add raw and cooked meat into his diet and untill i find a good quality food that he loves as much as felix im afraid felix is all he is getting.

good luck on your search and on the birth of your kittens

4. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

oh thank you both so much! ive been wondering if maybe theres a difference between moggies (dont like calling them that) and pedigrees, maybe the pedigrees need the finer foods?

I cant believe Felix/Whiskas/Kitekat only have 4% though it just seems crazy! Mine prefer at moment, Aldis own, which ive just checked and is the same just 4%.

All my cats have been what people call moggies and they've always eaten this stuff, ive tried them with other things and they dont like them!

thank you for your replies, means a lot! Im off to pets at home and will take advice for the kittens, but I wonder then if their new owners would be willing to pay the higher priced cat foods anyway and that will upset their tummies if I start them off the premium stuff.

5. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

it doesnt work out that much more expensive acctually. unless like me you buy loads and then find out your cat is stubborn and wont eat it so you have to give it away.

it would be easier if they done samples for you to try.

good luck :)

6. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

I too felt terrible when I realised my cats were only getting 4% meat. After searching around for something in my price range I found Purely at Pets at Home which is 50% and my cats love it!

I leave James Wellbeloved dry food down for my 2 during the day.

7. kateaitken07

kateaitken07 PetForums Junior

I have just changed my lot over to the Purely range and they LOVE it!!!

Looks so much nicer as well, like real food :D

8. kath123

kath123 Guest

My sasha is fed whiskas or felix and she loves it, yes it is a crap meat contents but she is healthy has a lovely long shiny coat, i do not see the problem.

I would only change her food to the more expensive range if she was a show cat.

If the cat is happy and healthy i do not understand what the issue is regarding this xx

9. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Yeah I agree with Kath, I think there is too much stress regarding Whiskas & Felix. It may not be the highest meat content but all the cats I've had over the years have thrived on it. I have in the past given my cats Hi-Life and all the other expensive brands etc and they all turn their noses up at it and would rather go without! lol

I'm just happy now that my cats actually enjoy their food and are healthy.

10. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

Its not really a question of 'finer' foods - its more that the food we give them should be approproiate to a carnivorous animal (which a lot of cat foods arent i.e. full of cereals/grains etc) My pedigree persians and moggies eat the same, mainly raw with some high meat wet food (such as Hi Life). :) But as others have said, 30 yrs years ago when I first had cats, there wasnt so much choice and it was Whiskas or Kit e Kat plus Go Cat - which I have to say can't have adversely affected that cats I had then - my Elsa lived till she was 20!

11. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

I had the same problem as you. Just got a kitten and bought 4 weeks supply of the wet whiskas pouches. My Heniu had very runny poo after it.

People in here advised me to buy Royal Canin or Hils :)

Good Luck

12. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

Hi no one on here is a bad person, just because the advertising system makes some cheap products sound like feline caviar, folk tend to trust the product,(they have the money to dazzle us with their advertising) the industry is out there to make money from loveing, careing fur buddy carers. However while we are continuing to purchase this rubbish, we are letting them get away with stuffing cheap rubbish into their products, they would soon start reviewing their recipe if everyone stopped purchasing it.
    I know lot's of people out there may not have lot's of money for expensive food, dosn't make them any less loving to their fur buddies. The industry see's this, that's why they sell so much, because it's cheaper.
    Look on the net, just type in 'what is really in our pet's food' check out 'why raw recipe for is best for my pet'
    A good site is Feline Future TC or Feline Instincts.
    It comes down to everyones choice in the end, but don't let ignorance get in the way, look it up.

13. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

Ps the low meat content is the least of the problem, ever wondered what animal derivitives are on the list of ingredients? or bi products? or ever wondered why dry food starts to smell stronger after a while of opening, even when it's put in a sealed tin?? Don't suppose it's got anything to do with the oil they spray on it decompsing by any chance, yep look on the net.

14. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

I agree Kathyrn:) Jinks has Whiskas and Alidi homebrand - thats all he will eat he wont touch anything else - but I do give him meat and lots of fish too - I have never had any probs with him and he is happy and healthy:)

15. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Thank you all!! Well I went to Pets at Home today and another Pet supplier that just stocks the food, not the pets. Both said the same thing, that they dazzle us with adverts, so we presume they are fine.

Anyway both recommended dry foods over wet food.

I was surprised to see how little dry food they needed as well, and it actually works out cheaper then the sachets over a month.

Anyway Ive decided to change to either JW dry food or Pets at Home own brand, depending on what she prefers, they gave me free samples to try her with and she seems to like both. As she has wet and dry food, I got the high life kitten food, she dont like it much lol! I mixed it in with her normal stuff, and she managed to lick out all her normal stuff and leave the expensive one!

So im gonna change her to the decent dry food, and will just have to put her on some toher wet food she likes. Hopefully this way she will get the nutrients she needs, but I will wean the kittens on the dry stuff, and when I let them go I'll give them some of it and let them know where to buy it from.

Thanks for all your help, and helping me mill through the quagmire of cat food!

16. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Thank you all!! Well I went to Pets at Home today and another Pet supplier that just stocks the food, not the pets. Both said the same thing, that they dazzle us with adverts, so we presume they are fine.

Anyway both recommended dry foods over wet food.

I was surprised to see how little dry food they needed as well, and it actually works out cheaper then the sachets over a month.

Anyway Ive decided to change to either JW dry food or Pets at Home own brand, depending on what she prefers, they gave me free samples to try her with and she seems to like both. As she has wet and dry food, I got the high life kitten food, she dont like it much lol! I mixed it in with her normal stuff, and she managed to lick out all her normal stuff and leave the expensive one!

So im gonna change her to the decent dry food, and will just have to put her on some toher wet food she likes. Hopefully this way she will get the nutrients she needs, but I will wean the kittens on the dry stuff, and when I let them go I'll give them some of it and let them know where to buy it from.

Thanks for all your help, and helping me mill through the quagmire of cat food!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice