Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

So apparently chihuahuas are a type of rat terrier?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Stephiib14, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Stephiib14

Stephiib14 PetForums Junior

Being super smart B-)
    I thought he might dig up the mole in my garden hahahahaaa
    He did not. He looked at me like a crazy lady pointing out mole hills for him paha!
    So, pest conteollers it is. Lol!!!

rona likes this.
  2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

No....that's Yorkshire terriers :)

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Silly billy!! Chihuahuas arent for any kind of working!:rolleyes:

They are purely for recreational purposes (eg-cuddles, snuggles, kisses, etc).:Hilarious

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

A friend had one and it was a very keen hunter. Used to leave home to go rabbiting regularly. I suppose it depends where you live and what you do with them.

O2.0 likes this.
  5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Was it pure Chi?
    I've seen a few cross Chi's with a killer instinct

lullabydream, LinznMilly and Blitz like this.
  6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Chihuahuas will go after rats the person who bred our first chihuahua had a small holding and kept chihuahuas to keep the rats down he also had terriers and said the chihuahuas were better ratters than the terriers. I am not 100% certain but I am sure I read somewhere they were originally bred in Mexico as rat dogs. I know mine will happily go after rats and squirrels even my show chihuahuas will look for rats one went across the gardens the other day when I was walking my girls they went mad if they had of been off their leads they would have took off after it.

LinznMilly likes this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It was pure.

rona likes this.
  8. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Speed of a rat v speed of a mole = rat more interesting, mole boring
    Chi's are great ratters, but very sight/smell/movement/sound oriented
    An underground mole just won't cut the mustard and a mole hill? What is it, just mound of earth, nothing that equates, in a dogs mind, to prey
    Personally, I'd rather a few mounds of earth on my lawn, than set a dog on a mole anyway
    They are life worthy too and do no damage to man, except to bowling green flat, vanity lawns

Edit to add; that last was not aimed at anyone personally, just a generalised observation

#8 mrs phas, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  9. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Chis are great ratters! My boss used to have one (sadly died recently, a pure white fluffy girl), and she was better at ratting than the miniature pinschers!

LinznMilly likes this.
  10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Penny says anything that lives in the ground is worth digging up and hunting.
    And anything that lives in trees.
    And anything that swims in the water...

But I don't think Penny has a whole lot of Chi in her, I think she's mostly Feist/rat terrier :)

LinznMilly likes this.
  11. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Cad wouldn't go after a rat, but he successfully hunts mice in old farm buildings. Good distinction between mice in different environments though, as he's way more interested in floor smells in my rodent room.

12. Stephiib14

Stephiib14 PetForums Junior

I am just fed up of sweeping my path 5x a day or id let him carry on with his little moley life...ha!
    Just had someone come out and put some traps down... useless dog paha! He's great for spiders, and loves to chase a rabbit or pheasant (uh oh.)
    I love my dogs by the way I'm just playfully moaning, I can't work emoji on here!!

13. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

The only ones out of my Chi's that are interested in small furries are the ones who are half dachshund!:cool:

rona likes this.
  14. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Timber is always very interested in fresh molehills. There must be a distinctive scent.

Did anyone hear the story of two neighbours with some sort of grudge against each other; and when the one who was very obsessed with his bowling-green lawn was out, the other tipped little piles of the contents of a grow-bag across it?

mrs phas, LinznMilly and Magyarmum like this.
  15. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

My terrier definitely doesn't see molehills as boring mounds of earth. She gives them a sniff, if it's fresh she will dig and dig if not she wees on it and moves on.. Every time! She is very prey driven though, once pulled the lead from my hand walking through town, ran up a side street and killed a rat, all in the space of about 5 seconds! Her main mission in life is to catch and dispatch anything small and furry, fortunately my parents have a farm so Dottie gets to do her job regularly. Not all terriers are the same though my JRT pup would rather chase a ball than a rat and my mums terrier will have a sniff and a dig but isnt really committed to the task he'd rather have a tummy rub and a biscuit!

16. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

We play a game called “seek the mole” where I point at the mole hill and she’ll start digging like a mad head, nose in the hole snorting lol. Never caught one though, even if she did find one I doubt she’d know what to do with it lol.

We’ve been on walks where a rat has popped up inches from her head and she didn’t even see/smell it. Just carried on mooching about :Facepalm:Hilarious but will happily chase a bit of fluff on a stick all day given the chance :Hilarious:Hilarious

17. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Imagine wanting to kill something because you have to sweep a bit of mud :(

Molehills absolutely interest a dog with a prey drive too. They have a scent after all. Ned loves to have a dig and snort of one. I wouldn't let him catch a mole though, although im not sure he would. There are certain animals he wont try and pick up - corvids for instance and foxes. We've found a couple of dead moles and he will have a sniff and thats it. Its not the size as we found a dead adult deer a couple of years ago and he attempted to carry it!

Sarah H likes this.
  18. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

To kill it? That's not nice :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice