Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

So annoyed!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, May 22, 2017.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

to put it mildly!

I work full time so my dogs go to a home based daycare - Elliot goes mon-thurs and kenzie goes twice a week. The owner and I have had our differences of opinion, but the dogs enjoy it there and it's convenient for me, plus she does tend to go above and beyond to help me out.

Today she told me one of the young dogs she takes twice a week has come into season. And she's still going to daycare. And Elliot is entire. I was so flabbergasted I could barely speak.

She says it will be ok as the bitch wears pants and she will watch them. I have been on this forum long enough to know that it is a recipe for disaster. There is no way in hell Elliot is going to be in the same house as an inseason bitch. No. Way. In. Hell.

So now I have two questions - how long are bitches generally in season for? And if I were to get Elliot neutered, how long would he still be fertile for? I don't really want to neuter him yet, but I'm so worried about him getting to this or another bitch.

In the meantime I need to figure out what on earth to do with Elliot on the days the bitch is there. I'm also worried about the smell of her being around even on the days she's not there. He doesn't ever hump or anything and I really don't want that to change.

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

What a worry for you! I;m not sure why the Day Care owner thinks they can monitor them the whole time ...unless they have facilities to keep them apart. I wouldn't want my bitch that close to a male either (the girls are worse) .....where there's a will there's a way ...pants or no pants lol

Bitches are in season for three weeks although they can generally only get pregnant in the 'middle' few days (depending on the bitches cycle). However they are highly hormonal during the whole time .....

And it is my understanding that sperm may remain for a short while after neutering which means that a dog can be fertile for up to three weeks post op ......

J

#2 Jamesgoeswalkies, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    McKenzie likes this.
  3. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

What an idiotic thing to do! I take it she hasn't stopped to think about the neutered males. Just because they've lost their balls doesn't mean they're not going to be excited by her, and the chances of fights is really high.

Definitely keep your little man out of that situation

Lurcherlad, lullabydream and McKenzie like this.
  4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thank you both. I knew I wasn't being over protective about this but she honestly didn't think it was an issue, and she's a very experienced dog owner!

Thanks for the info. I've read far too many stories about the lengths dogs go to to mate!

She did say her neutered male was more interested in the bitch than Elliot - I hadn't thought of fights.

Lurcherlad and MiffyMoo like this.
  5. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Unfortunately this happened with Dex. Someone had been told their rescue was spayed, so when she had her first day of heat they had no clue. Sent her off to day care where All the boys got a sniff and that was it; they were desperately trying to get to her. Dex got to her first and went into full on resource guarding mode. This all happened within the space of a couple of minutes, so I haven't got a clue what she thinks she's going to do if it all kicks off over this poor bitch.

McKenzie likes this.
  6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yes it makes sense now you mention it. Do you think it would still be ok for him to go on the days the bitch isn't there? I imagine her smell will be everywhere.

7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Well as the saying goes bitches fight to breathe...dogs fight to breed... Its not far of the mark.

Speaking from experience...its horrible keeping an interested castrated male away from a female...her flippant comment says it all really. Dogs do and can get hurt during mating...and castrated males can still tie with females.

Lurcherlad, MiffyMoo and McKenzie like this.
  8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I wonder what the bitch owner has been told for them to still be happy to have their bitch around males, particularly intact ones.

kimthecat and MiffyMoo like this.
  9. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Wow, I'm quite staggered really. Most people I'm aware of who offer daycare options won't take an entire male over a certain age and definitely won't take a bitch in season. When Juno was a puppy she went to daycare once or twice a week and when she was in season I made alternate arrangements for a month. I don't use that service now for various reasons, plus she's not really the candidate for it now as an adult, but it wouldn't have occurred to me to think she'd be welcomed when in season!

Experienced dog owner or not, that would be the end of using that service for me, sorry but it smacks of irresponsibility.

rona, lorilu, MiffyMoo and 1 other person like this.
  10. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Some people are just oblivious to it...or they think its easy managed...if you were not as savvy as you are then you could have easy thought the same, the woman is an experienced dog owner blah blah..she knows what she is doing! Silly as it may seem, but this is why the genuine accidental litters occur.

MiffyMoo and McKenzie like this.
  11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I know exactly what you mean. There's been little things in the past but I'm really struggling to get over this. I just don't have another option right now, but it has tempted me to look around again and see if anything new has popped up.

Yes exactly. I would be totally devastated if Elliot sired an accidental litter.

lullabydream and MiffyMoo like this.
  12. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Someone to come in and walk him/them instead?

I just have a sitter come in and see to them at lunch time if I'm out all day. I just get up at the crack of dawn to take them out for a decent walk and they are fine with this, no worries about daycare or going out with a walker. I'm sort of semi looking at the possibility of another walker, but finding someone good that does 1-2-1's and is knowledgeable about more challenging dogs is a bit of a minefield. Most around here are crap and I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

13. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yes definitely a possibility, if I can find someone I trust. That's the sticky point.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  14. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Yup, isn't it always!

15. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I actually don't know. I suspect there'll be a lot of sniffing around, but because she's not there it won't be an issue

16. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

This would stop me using her service full stop..the potential fallout could end in serious injuries. Irresponsibility at it's best :( .

rona, labradrk and lorilu like this.
  17. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Possibly she has no idea!?

I'd now worry about an oops/accidentally on purpose mating - free stud scenario too, if it were me! ;)

I have a suspicious nature :)

rona, lorilu and lullabydream like this.
  18. Tillystar

Tillystar PetForums VIP

This is totally shocking that she's accepting both dogs. I'm lost for words to be honest. I'm assuming the daycare you use is open planned rather then kennels?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  19. Lurch-er

Lurch-er PetForums Member

I reckon it's not so much the daycare and forgive me for being sceptical it maybe your day carer sees the pound signs I don't know many places that would take in a bitch in season and as someone else said free stud dog

Lurcherlad likes this.
  20. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Pound signs yes (if this bitch is frequent boarder then she'll be missing a months worth of fees) but I can't imagine there is any sinister plan for breeding, the bitch owner has probably been told her bitch is safe and 95% of pet owners probably won't question it further. Just plain selfishness on the part of the boarder, and it's reason 84772 why it's so bloody difficult knowing who to trust with our pets, too many unscrupulous people who put money before welfare.

Lurcherlad and Lurch-er like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice