Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

So ***aggravated*** by this guy's carelessness towards his dog!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by TabithaJ, Jan 8, 2012.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ PetForums Senior

Dexter and I were enjoying a lovely relaxing walk this afternoon. As we got halfway down a road, a huge, gorgeous Rough Collie suddenly appeared across the street. I used to own a RC and they are not at all popular any more in the area where I live.

The dog then trotted across the road to join us - thankfully there were no cars coming. As Dex is reactive when on a lead, this was not a great scenario for us. I managed though to put Dex in a sit and patted the dog: no collar, no I.D. of any sort :mad:

I looked around for signs of an anxious dog owner, assuming one would appear at any second. Nobody around. Then the dog trotted back over the road and vanished down a side street.

I resolved to walk Dex down the adjoining road, to check that the RC was OK. Sure enough, as soon as we got to the next street, there the dog was, wandering around. I saw a woman in the driveway of a nearby house and called out to her - she didn't recognise the dog.

Then, a few doors up, a bloke suddenly appears and starts cleaning his car. As I walk towards him to ask if he recognises the RC he glances over and says 'Don't worry, that's my dog.'

I reply that I'm very relieved to have found him because the dog had been crossing roads etc. The guy waves a dismissive hand and tells me: 'Oh, he's fine - don't worry about him'.

Even as he is saying this, his dog is trotting away, along the road, on his own, wearing no I.D. I then continue on my walk with Dexter - and the RC is still walking away up the road and crossing several smaller roads along his route. His owner is cheerfully washing his car.

I called out to him 'You have a beautiful dog - what a shame you don't look after him properly.' The bloke looked up, clocked that his dog was now way off in the distance, shrugged, and returned to cleaning his car :confused1::confused1::confused1:

Who in their right mind is this cavalier with their dog's safety????

The dog could get hit by a car, or stolen, so easily. Or he could approach someone walking an aggressive or fearfl dog. And this bloke did not give a damn!

Anyway, sorry for the rant - I just hate seeing dogs being put at risk by the very people who are meant to be protecting them!

#1 TabithaJ, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. BumbleFluff

BumbleFluff PetForums VIP

You shouldve rung the dog warden and said theres a RC walking around with no visible ID and is crossing roads, you feared for its safety. ;) Maybe then, if his dog was taken away, he might consider taking care of it properly.
    Poor dog, some owners just couldnt give a damn :(

3. catseyes

catseyes PetForums VIP

Poor dog - sounds like he wouldnt care if the dog was taken in.

4. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

It would depend on the dog warden though...round here they just don't care, so they wouldn't look for an owner - just pick the stray up, and the 7 days would begin. Rescues are packed at the moment and I'd be so scared that the RC would be put to sleep for having an idiot as an owner.

I wish there was a middle ground...I wouldn't even want to call the RSPCA. Actually, you could call the Dog's Trust if there is one close to you? They have a no kill policy, and might be willing to speak to the owner regarding growing some brain cells?

5. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I can't believe how cavelier he was!

Max was never chipped but he was collared whenever out the house and he was not a wanderer - would *not* go past the gate without a lead on, not to chase a cat or anything :p so he was safe to leave loose whilst washing the car on the drive

surely even *basic* common sense is to keep your dog in sight at all times when not enclosed in your own property? (unless on a shoot etc I suppose or other such scenarios) but always in a domestic/urban setting - in fact I believe it's a legal thing that dogs are supposed to be under their 'owner or handler's control at all times'? about being liable if there's an incident

6. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

such a shame people just dont care, why get a dog if you are not going to care for it?

around here there is a golden that does that, goes outside and on the green, my mother nearly run him over once a few years back. we just saw him yesterday after not seeing him for a while and he's getting older now and seemed disorientated, barked at alfie foor no reason and seemed annoyed.

the people daont care and rspca are useless most of the time.

7. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

I know dogs wandering was common place in the seventies but then so were drinks coloured with tartrazine, bell bottom flares and kipper ties. Times have changed and this owner's 'relaxed' attitude just isn't relevant or legal. Would he even try ot find his dog is it went missing :(

8. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

That sort of thing makes my blood boil. People like that don't deserve to have dogs.

val xx

9. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Poor dog; he isn't just being cavalier with his dogs safety but with drivers' safety who may have accidents trying to avoid the dog :mad::mad:.

10. TabithaJ

Excellent point.

Alas, this guy is not the only dog owner in my area who does this. There is also a woman with a huge Choc Lab; she walks the dog around busy roads with NO LEAD and pushes a pram with a baby in it while her dog goes bounding on ahead.

We often run into them and I have repeatedly asked her to put her dog on a lead. I did call the dog warden and was told he would 'try and get down there to take a look'......

11. troublestrouble

troublestrouble PetForums Senior

perhaps he doesn't like his dog and is trying to get rid of it :mad:

12. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I often wonder about these dogs who are happy to roam wherever while their owners do something else miles away. I have sat on benches and outside the cafe on the heath with Ferdie and Joshua and no way will they leave my side.

We could regularly wash cars or do the garden while Sammy lay down and watched and when I had the mobile groomer doing Josh, Ferdie just lay next to the van watching.

I think the dog must be very lacking in attention to want to wander away if his person is in sight.

It must be tempting to actually steal this dog away and see how long it takes the idiot to notice.

13. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I have come across many like this over the years :mad:
    It's such a shame that nothing is done about them

14. Paganman

Paganman PetForums Senior

Maybe its not *his* dog.

Im not saying its right or ok but maybe the wife insisted on a dog and he did not want one.

She never walks it and he just dont care because he never wanted a dog in the first place.

He just shut his mouth to please his hen pecking wife.

Stranger thimgs happen.

15. TabithaJ

It is his dog.

One of my friends knows them and says it is the bloke's dog and that he's had several of the same breed over the years.

And EVEN if it wasn't his dog, the issue is the same: if one is responsible for looking after a dog, any dog, one does not allow said dog to go wandering across roads, out of sight, etc!

16. Paganman

Paganman PetForums Senior

Not if the the wife wanted it and he did not.

He may have said no, I dont want a dog, but she hen pecked him into it and he said "well ok, if you look after it"

Now she is not, he has the attitude (wrongly) "not really my dog"

Yes the dog lives in his house but does he regard it as *his* dog?

Somehow I doubt it.

17. TabithaJ

Are you trying to be amusing....?

You have concocted some bizarre scenario that has NO bearing upon this thread.

The man in question is not married.

It is HIS dog.

As mentioned before, a friend of mine knows the man which is HOW I know your suggestion is inaccurate. Your comments are also irrelevant.

I haven't found your posts vaguely amusing and would appreciate it if you could either stay on topic or refrain from posting on this thread, thank you.

18. BumbleFluff

BumbleFluff PetForums VIP

Im sorry, but this isnt true. Dogs trust give the impression that they never put a healthy dog down, but i know for a fact they send dogs back to the shelter they originally came from to put them to sleep instead.
    My friend works in boarding kennels which takes in strays, and they get them into rescues. Dogs trust are always sending dogs back to be put to sleep for ridiculous reasons like 'it pulls on the lead' or 'it chases shadows'. Yes, THEY dont put a healthy dog down, they send it away for it to be done instead! :(

19. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Another charity con. I told my friend to phone them about her cocker spaniel who had badly bitten her little grandaughter. They said they would not bother trying to rehome him in a home without children, they would just have him pts.

All these charities will say anything to get the public's money. I won't have a thing to do with any of them.

20. astro2011

astro2011 PetForums VIP

I don't think I would have been able to control myself if he spoke to me like that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice