Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Snuffle Mat

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by JoanneF, Mar 1, 2017.

1. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I made one today, I'm not sure if it's dense enough though. And how do you let your dog know he's found the last bit of food and can stop looking? Any advice? TIA.

2. Shikoku

Shikoku PetForums VIP

Use a cue word and then remove the mat? When our JRT finishes something I say all gone and just remove the dish, kong, mat or whatever :)

JoanneF likes this.
  3. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Well done, I started one but made a complete hash of it!

Tagging @Nettles as she made a fantastic one :)

Nettles and JoanneF like this.
  4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Maybe im mean, but all the time my dog is interested in something and causing me no irritation, then i leave him too it.

Sometimes, if im feeling extra cruel, i put treats in his wobbler that have no chance of falling out. Periodically ill just throw a bit of kibble on the floor to reward him, but otherwise he is busy and pretty happy tbh. He's persistent when it comes to food - recently spent 25 mins trying to get a biccie out from underneath the sofa.

I must get a snuffle mat. Everything Ned has is noisy or a major toe stubbing hazard.

5. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

I don't tend to put more than one treat in the mat at a time as it makes it harder to find and I use it more to help with Phoebes impulse control around food more than anything else. She has to sit and wait until I give her a release cue. As soon as she finds it, she has to go back and sit and wait until I've hidden it and release her again.
    When the games over, I use "aaaaaall done" and make an "all done" gesture with my hands.

6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Thanks @Nettles. How dense is your mat? I used a couple of old fleeces and I could cut up and add in another one but I don't really want to because it's still got some wear in it! And did you trim the tails to make them an equal length or leave them uneven? TIA!

Nettles likes this.
  7. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I sometimes just put a few pieces of kibble in and sometimes I feed their whole meal in it.
    My 2 just go and do something else once they have finished snuffling and I just pick it up and put it away.
    I don't use it in a training context - but I like what Nettles is doing :)

Nettles likes this.
  8. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

It's quite dense. Each hole has four strips of fleece through it so you can't see the mat at all from the top. I cut all the strips of fleece to the same length and width before starting so it would be nice and even (I'm a freak about things like that :rolleyes:) I think it would probably seem be bulkier and more dense if the ends were all at the same length

Not sure if it'll help, but here's a few pics of mine
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

My two know when there's no food left, I guess they can smell it. Elliot will try to chew the fleecy bits though if I don't take it away quick enough after the food is gone!

10. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I want to make one for my two but can't seem to find anything suitable for the base. Any suggestions?

I live in Hungary so would have to buy it over here.

11. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

12. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

JoanneF likes this.
  13. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

That's amazing @Nettles - You could sell them!
    Love the pic of Pheebs sitting all proud :Smug

Nettles likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice