Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

"Snowflakes"... Oh the irony!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sairy, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I know that some people use the term "snowflake" to describe people who they consider to be easily offended by things. It's a term I really dislike, mainly because it seems to be thrown around primarily by people who have no desire to try and understand the struggles that others may go through and find it easier to insult them instead.

However, I have noticed quite a bit of irony around this term. It is massively overused and I often think that those using it need to take a look in the mirror and they might indeed see themselves behaving like a "snowflake".

A recent example was when Radio 1 decided not to play the original version of "Fairytale of New York" due to the derogatory word used in the song. There was a huge uproar about this on social media, with people complaining about "Snowflakes" and how they spoil things for others. Yet these people were the ones throwing their toys out of their prams. If they really wanted to listen to the original version of the song then they could just switch to a different radio station, or even download the song and play it til their heart was content. Why the big fuss because one radio station decided not to play it?

Another example has been half amusing and half irritating me today. This is a Facebook post by the local police warning drivers about the conditions

Screenshot_20201228-162045_Facebook.jpg

There were something like 150 comments on this post, with the majority of them, rather than showing concern for the people involved in the accidents, slating the author for use of the term "snowperson". Again, various comments referring to "Snowflakes" getting offended and ruining things for everyone else, yet the only people causing drama out of this as those moaning about the term used. I didn't even notice it when I read it, it just seems so unimportant and insignificant. Why do people need to make such a fuss over these things and then make out like they aren't the ones with the problem?

For the record, I couldn't care less whether people say "snowman", "snowperson" or whatever the heck they want. I say snowman, but it doesn't matter to me if someone else says snowperson. I also couldn't give two hoots about Fairytale of New York.

Does anyone else see the irony in all this?

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I completely agree the problem is social media and the ability to comment on everything. My mum used to say ‘ if you have nothing nice to say don’t say anything at all’

Ellie&cats and Sairy like this.
  3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

It's the forcing of one persons views on others. Some need challenging some don't.
    I see it as the removing of a persons right to have their own thoughts and attempting to have only one "right" way to think. Very dangerous indeed

Ellie&cats and HarlequinCat like this.
  4. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I absolutely support a person's right to have their own thoughts and opinions. I just find it incredibly ironic that people who moan about others being offended are themselves getting incredibly offended.

5. rona

Then how do they air their thoughts?

6. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

However they like. I'm not sure what you are getting at.

7. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

Maybe some of the ones complaining about snow person and the song haven't called others snowflakes either.

Alot of people don't like the fact that there is more censorship now. They even have warnings, or trigger warnings I think the term is now, on certain entertainment providers before the start of an old series or film because they weren't as pc back then.

Lurcherlad, Sairy and rona like this.
  8. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Yup, I completely get that. My post is about the use of the term "snowflake" and how I find it ironic the way it is used by people who could indeed be deemed "Snowflakes" themselves. It is not about people disliking gender-neutral terms or censorship.

9. rona

As we haven't read the comments then we have to take your word for that. We can only comment on what we feel on the subject and what you have said. I'm quite sure that at least 50% have not mentioned snowflake at all but been lumped into that same label because someone on that platform has used that term.
    It's a shame that a few people trying to cause ill feeling can deflect a point. It happens on here so so much.......................

Not you :)

10. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I did put in my original comment that there were "various comments referring to snowflakes" and nowhere did I say that all comments said that. And no, not everyone has been lumped together but I don't understand why one person happening to use the term "snowperson" was made into a massive drama when the point of the post was actually about staying safe whilst driving.

Alas, I've vented my frustration and am settling down for some dinner now.

rona likes this.
  11. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I didn't either! And I was reading it trying to figure out what was wrong with the post!

I guess that's a pretty good litmus test right there. If you have to be reminded to be offended by something, maybe don't be offended by it?

Then on other occasions, when something offended me, it turned in to a catalyst for me to think about something further and do some self-reflecting which is never a bad thing.
    So in the end it was good that someone said something 'offensive' because it made me think.

Like you, I find it amusing from a purely behavior nerd POV how very not self aware some people are and don't see in their own behavior that which they're complaining about in others.
    There was a funny clip a while back with a Trump supporter wearing a shirt that says "Trump that bitch" talking about how in the US we treat women with respect. And he was being completely unironic too. Jordan Klepper was the comedian interviewing him, he's hilarious. He just lets people talk and the jokes make themselves. And it's not just on the Trump side of the isle, you could do the same with the left right now. Some of the 'safe spaces' and trigger warning stuff has (IMHO) gotten way out of hand.

But even here I have to remind myself to be curious instead of critical. We all come to where we are by different paths. Conversation and inclusion is what brings about positive change. So it's good to talk about it :)

LinznMilly and Sairy like this.
  12. rona

I was trying to talk more generally but again I must have come across wrong

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice