Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

sniffing dogs...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Tapir, May 24, 2010.

1. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

i was walking a springer today, and the whole way he was nose-floor. I shouted him, called, whistled, got down on the floor, anything to get his attention and he completely ignored me. it really annoyed me, he was transfixed on tracking the scent!

do you find it irritating or do you not mind? do you let your dog do it, and if you do why?

it got me really frustrated!!

2. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Harvey is dreadful when he picks up a scent... nose to the floor and looks like noonoo from the teletubbies :lol: If we are on a ramble over the fields then I let him, but he is on a long line. On road walks I don;t as I want his full attention. Not that I always get it :rolleyes:

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

this is what Ollie is like sometimes. I don't allow it at all, if I call him, he must obey. If he is sniffing whilst I'm trying to get his attention, he goes back onto the long line. (i carry it with me everywhere, just in case).

4. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

this dog was so annoying, he was on a normal lead and was dragging me everywhere snuffling on the ground. sod.

5. nicola1980

nicola1980 PetForums Member

Nose on the floor is what springers do he was not doing it to be annoying it's just the way springers are and as for the pulling on lead it's because he's not been trained.

I let my springer sent it's part of them.

6. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

my cousins springer doesn't do it. he has some manners! when he is asked to listen to the walker, he does.

7. bird

bird PetForums VIP

My springer doesnt do it much at all when on lead, once he hears the click of the lead being taken off..........well thats a different matter. The nose hardly ever lifts off the floor, and the tails doing a helicopter impression :rolleyes:

8. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

i think its fine when off the lead, but i hate it on the lead.

9. nicola1980

nicola1980 PetForums Member

By the sounds of things you walk thee's dogs while they are in kennels? (sorry if I'm wrong) but if I'm right then I can fully understand why the dog is not listening to you, it's in his kennel 24/7 except when it go's for a walk so he wants to smell all these nice new smells and explore a while before he has to go back to his little concrete cell.

It's not the dogs fault he just needs some training.

10. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Fraid thats mostly down to lead training, if the dogs always been allowed to sniff at whatever it likes the smell of, then its not something that can be corrected overnight, although springers are not thick dogs (inspite of how they behave) and would soon cotton on to what you expect of them.

11. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Buster was a nightmare for this we used to joke he had to be part scenthound he was obssessed with scents. I trained him he was allowed to offlead and in a tracking harness but not onlead because it would be OMG new smell takes off pulling my arm really hard.

12. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I let Toby have a good sniff around at certain parts of our walks. It is unbelievebale that he is able to sniff out the tiniest piece of discarded food at 100 paces!!!
    Sometimes he does seem to ignore me & just carry on sniffing so I have started to unclip his lead & walk off (when we're not near a road) which does the trick as he panics if he looks up & I'm striding off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice