Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sneezy new kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Darcie Hind, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Darcie Hind

Darcie Hind PetForums Newbie

Me and my other half got a beautiful 10 week old maine coon x ragdoll kitten on friday.

The breeder told us that she and her 2 siblings had been on Synolux for a week.
    Since getting her home she has been okay in herself, very lively, very loving, drinking and eating fine.

Only thing is she keeps sneezing all the time and sounds bunged up - especially after she sleeps for a long time.. She has been in our home for 5 days now. The breeder had a lot of animals in one room and I was wondering if it was just her adapting to a fresher space but I am looking for advice about this.
    The vets4pets receptionist said it will probably be her adapting to the new surroundings as there isnt any discharge from her eyes or nose (only the off little bogie every now and then) but she just doesn't seem to stop sneezing.

Any advice or tips? We are first time kitten owners so we are very new to this!

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

There is a chance it could be something in the environment - if you have/use any... Scented candles, air fresheners, household sprays, etc.

However, given the overcrowded situation she came from and without wanting to get into the issue of the ethics of cross breeding (or rather the health/welfare of animals in the care of such "breeders" all too often) it is far more likely the sneezing is due to one of the "cat flu" viruses.

Symptoms range from being completely asymptomatic through to life threatening (for very young or old cats) full blown "cat flu". What is mostly noticed is some sneezing with or without eye/nasal discharge. It will hopefully be mild and the type of cat flu where cats mostly do not become lifetime carriers.

All of that said, she sounds bright and bouncy so fingers crossed it is mild and she will ship out out very soon

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Darcie Hind and welcome :) If that is your kitten in your avatar he looks gorgeous! :)

Your kitten has an upper respiratory infection (URI) probably as a result of "cat flu". Cat flu is caused by a virus, the most common one being Feline Herpesvirus. (FHV or FHV1) .

The URI is a secondary infection. The URI can be treated with a course of antibiotic e,g. synulox. (as your kitten was prescribed) Sneezing is a symptom of a URI so your kitten still has the infection and may need a further course of antibiotics from the vet. I would discuss this with your vet.

The antibiotics will treat the URI but not the virus that caused the cat flu. When a cat or kitten has severe symptoms an antiviral drug such as famciclovir (used to treat human herpes viral infections) given orally has been shown to be safe and effective in managing cases of severe FHV infection. Your kitten does not have a severe case of FHV by what you say so the virus should pass within a couple of weeks.

Useful article on Cat Flu causes and treatments, and URI's from International Cat Care:-

https://icatcare.org/advice/cat-health/cat-flu-–-upper-respiratory-infection

#3 chillminx, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. Darcie Hind

Thank you, do you think it is worth taking her to the vets to get checked out? She is there in 2 weeks for her vaccinations.
    The breeder is pedigree, she normally breeds only pedigree cats but there was a little 'accident' as she called it which resulted in the crosses. Both of the parents were completely healthy.. But see I do have reed difusers at home and candles (haven't burnt any though).
    I am wondering if the vet is the best option?

5. Darcie Hind

Thank you
    So shall I contact the vet? Just to be on the safe side?

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If you kitten has not recovered from the URi in 2 weeks then she should not be given her vaccinations. She needs to be in good health to be vaccinated.

I would get rid of all scented candles and diffusers tbh. Strong scents can cause allergies in cats.

EDIT: yes I would contact the vet for advice and if kitty has not had a vet check since you got her I would take her in for one.

7. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I would take Chillminx' excellent advice.....and ditch reed diffusers etc :). I love them too but as a cat breeder I did used to find they had an adverse effect on certain of my cats.

chillminx likes this.
  8. Darcie Hind

Thank you. I have been advised by the vets to contact the vet she got the Synoflux from and ask them for advice then take her in.
    In the meantime I will move my diffusers etc and see if it helps her, the little soul.
    Thank you for your advice, it really is appreciated!

chillminx and gskinner123 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice