Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sneezing & Gagging after tooth extraction in 15 year old cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Cole_Cats83, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Cole_Cats83

Cole_Cats83 PetForums Newbie

Hi all this is my first time posting so please bear with me.

My 15 y.o cat, Willow went to the vet on Thursday 8th October to have her teeth cleaned and one tooth removed. We took her home the following day. Her recovery has been very slow. She's still sleeping a lot, but she is eating, drinking & using the litter tray as normal. Her breathing has been a bit rapid since she came home but as she had no other symptoms (not panting, no vomiting, not eating, peeing etc) the vet said to keep an eye on her but he thinks it's her age making recovery harder on her. Which is fair enough, she is 15 after all.

However, today she's been sneezing (although no discharge) and doing this "gagging" thing where she looks like she is going to be sick, but isn't. She's done it about 6 times today. Otherwise, she seems okay just still sleeping a lot. She also isn't meowing a whole lot. She's usually a VERY talkative cat!

Should I call the vet again tomorrow or am I just being a worried Mum?? [For background, 2 years ago I lost my beautiful big tabby boy, Bubs, after he went in for an routine operation and ended up dying a week later - from something completely unrelated to the operation it turns out - but it's made me very fearful about ever having to bring Willow to the vet for anything "routine"].

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for reading all this.

Cole_Cats83 :)

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

If you are concerned , and you obviously are , then I would ring the vet and ask whether they should check her over.
    It wouldn't do any harm and may give you peace of mind that all is well.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with buffie I would speak to your vet. It is possible Willow has a slight upper respiratory infection, hence the sneezing and the gagging (the latter could be due to a sore throat,or or it could be due to nausea). Her immune system has been under stress with the dental work and the general anaesthetic, and she is a senior cat, so possibly more vulnerable to infections at her age. It may be that she needs a course of antibiotics. If so, the sooner the better.

I hope she is soon feeling better. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice