Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sneezing cat - grass seed?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by thelioncub, Jul 29, 2009.

1. thelioncub

thelioncub PetForums Senior

Very quick question which I hope someone will be able to help with.
    14 year-old cat has been sneezing. Started yesterday. One sneeze every few hours.. nothing else noticeably wrong. He's eating, sleeping, moving around, purring - all the usual.
    Vet wants me to take him in on Friday for an operation as she suspects he has a grass seed stuck and 'it could be serious'
    Because of his age, they want to run blood tests first to check kidneys. All in all we're looking at a cost of between £200 - £300.

Has anyone had any experience of this before? Can it pass on its own? Is it really necessary to put him under at his age for a sneeze?

Really need advice by tomorrow which can help me decide whether to cancel the appointment on Friday morning, or take him in.

:(

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Sorry cannot advise you on the grass seed problem.
    Do you know if the grass seed has gone in up the nose?
    Why did the vet say it was dangerous?
    Also how does the vet know it's a grass seed?
    I think I would get a second opinion.
    A few years ago one of my cats swallowed some grass. She was sneezing each day, a few days later she had a sneezing fit and the blade of grass came down and out through her nostril, my poor baby panicked a bit but she was fine.
    Do you think it could be a blade of grass?

Hope this might be of use to you.
    I have had second opinions with other vets. Your main vet shouldn't mind as it's your cats health that matters at the end of the day.

3. thelioncub

thelioncub PetForums Senior

Thanks for the reply.. I have no idea why the vet thinks it's dangerous. I would have thought putting a 14 year old cat under was more dangerous.
    I'm not sure what it could be. Lance does eat grass - there is no denying that. And he has had a blade of grass stuck many years ago - back then the vet just told us to feed him butter.
    I can't see anything in his nose, although there does look like a tiny scratch just on the inside of his nostril - maybe it's sore or tickling and causing him to sneeze?
    It's lessened during the day.. maybe only 5 times since this morning?
    Really don't know what to do :(

4. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

This is very difficult for you.
    You could try another vet, and see what they have to say.
    I thing this is what i would do
    I know how you must feel. If something happens and you didn't take him you will feel really bad!!!
    Like you said on the other hand you don't want him to have anesthetic unnecessary at his age.
    Sorry i cannot be of any help. Lets hope you will get some more reply' s tonight.
    Let us know what you decide.
    Good Luck

5. rrlaura

rrlaura PetForums Newbie

Hi,

My 2 year old was sneezing all yesterday morning and we pulled a masssive blade of grass out as long as my finger! She was very fed up and not eating last night but this morning, eating and purring but still sneezing every now and again, still not 100 %
    Any tips as the vet 'obviously' wants to see her but my friend vet said to wait a few days to se if it's just where the grass was pulled out?

Thanks
    Laura

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice