Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sneezing cat - can i legally intervene?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Nonnie, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

My neighbours have two male cats, both neutered. About 16 months ago, they had a baby and since then the cats have pretty much been left to their own devices. They are not allowed in their house, and nothing has been arranged in regards where these cats go and sleep. They leave some dry food outside in a bowl, but thats about it. They are very rarely at home.

When we had the last lot of snow (nov 2010) both cats moved into my garden,, as i provide shelter for mine for when they are outside. Over the summer when i had my doors and windows, both cats pretty much moved into my house. My neighbours are aware of this.

A few days ago, i noticed the smaller of the two sneezing constantly. I informed my neighbours, but they have done nothing. I know this because he hasnt left my house. I do know he is vaccinated up to date. There is no discharge from eyes or nose, but he is very subdued and down in the dumps. He is eating.

Can i legally take him to the vets myself? As he pretty much lives under my roof, i feel responsible for him, and he certainly needs medical treatment.

2. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

You have done the right thing by advising your neighbours and they seem uninterested.

Would you / are you prepared to accept these cats as your own? If so, why not speak to the current 'owners' and offer to take the cats on permanently. If phrased along the lines of "I know how a young baby can take up so much time, and your cats seem to spend so much time with lot so would it be easier for you if I took them on........" they may be inclined to go for it. (I know you probably want to say "you are cr@p owners who don't deserve to have pets....." but that might get their backs up. :D)

If they refuse to allow you to assume ownership of the cats, then take a copy of the Animal Welfare Act out of your pocket and tell them to read it ASAP otherwise you will be reporting them for negligence.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Thanks moggybaby. Im currently unemployed, so not really in the financial position to take more cats on (i have 5 from when i was working and perfectly able to cope). I do already this pair (impossible not to tbh), and this smaller one, whom i call squeaker, pretty much spends all his time with me and id be gutted if anything happened to him. He's the perfect little cat.

If money werent an issue, id happily offer them a new home on a permanent basis, but i have to be realistic. The current situation is just about affordable to me, but if some serious health issue came up, i just wouldnt be able to provide for them. I have an extremely understanding vet, but i dont think he'd be impressed if i took on more animals, knowing i cant afford it.

Either way, i will phone my vet first thing and find out if they are willing and able to treat a cat that isnt mine. I don't wish to lie and say he's a stray or anything, as stuff like that always comes back to bite.
    If they can't for some reason, then i'd have to take matters further, but im hoping it wont come to that.

I don't think my neighbours are uncaring, i just dont think they have the time anymore. They leave home at 6am, and arent home until late evening, and not really around at weekends.

4. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

If you get one well with the neighbours why not offer a compromise with them. Explain that you cannot financially care for the cats but have lots of time to offer so, if they covered costs, you will cover the time and attention required.

Do you think they might be open to an offer like this?

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I don't really know them, but i'm prepared to approach them if needs be. I guess my main concern (a selfish one i know) is that if they see the cats as nothing more than a financial outlay with no pro's then they will just get rid of them and i'll lose my lap cat. At the moment, i don't think they spend much on hem, as both cats feed at mine.
    Its just my financial situation that holds me back from making a move and asking if i can have them. Head must rule heart in this case.

Update on Squeaker though; my vet was prepared to examine him even though he is not mine. He doesnt feel its anything to be concerned about, and is/was a mild URI, probably viral in oirigin.. He is barely sneezing today, his chest is clear, he has no temperature and is eating and drinking well.

I have to watch him for the next few days, and if he makes no improvement or gets worse, then my vet said that if he gets permission from the RCVS (somethign about legal ethics) he will prescribe a course of antibiotics.

He did say that if he was mine, he still wouldnt prescribe anything at this stage, so Squeaker isnt being neglected or missing out on medical intervention.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Quick update.

All my cats now have this virus. Last night i had to take one of mine, and their other cat to the emergency vets as both were mouth breathing and drooling uncontrollably.

Their cat had a temp of just over 105c.

Two more of mine are mouth breathing this morning, so im currently waiting for my vets to open then im going to arrange a home visit.

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh, I am so sorry Nonnie. Shame that being the good samaritan is back-firing on you. Let's hope your cats get over this easily and quickly.

How is squeaker?

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Typically, he's absolutely fine. He got it really mildly and got over it quickly, but everyone else seems to be really suffering.

9. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Oh I am sorry to read this Nonnie...... :(

I hope your own babies are as resliliant as Squeaker was.

Please keep us updated........

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Vet couldnt come out due to staff issues, so managed to beg a lift off of a neighbour.

Took 4 of mine in and they all have raised temps, so all have had a shot of Metacam and Convenia to fight secondary infection. All 4 have now eaten since we've got home.

Last nights 2 (Molly and JT) are back to the vets this evening, but so far JT has stopped mouth breathing and dribbling, and has eaten, but Molly is no better and a little worse i feel. She managed to eat a tiny bit, then sicked it up and cried as she did, so i assume she has quite a sore throat.

Fingers crossed they can give her something else this evening.
    Should be fun with 2 semi ferals.

11. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

gosh sorry to hear this Nonnie , hope they'll all be over it soon.

we're in a similar situation to you though thankfully we dont have cats of our own, but we fed and cared for a stray with skin cancer she had to be pts in the end, but because we use to feed her weve practically ended up with a neighbours two cats:eek:....their owner is crap! she never has them in, not even in all that snow last year,not on bonfire night...nothing! so weve made them a shelter on our front garden because we feel so sorry for them, and i dare say if ever they need vet treatment it wont be their owner who gets them treated!.

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

How are they all doing now Nonnie?

13. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Molly and JT were back to the vets this evening; JT's temp is still high, so he's had more baytril, synulox and metacam and has to be checked again tomorrow to see if he can go on Convenia.

Molly is really bad compared to everyone else, but doesnt have a temp at all. She's had more metacam and has some power to help shift the gunk in her nose.

Everyone is eating ok at the moment except Molly, so ive syringe fed her this evening.

14. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Here is to hoping that everyone, but particularly Molly, are more chirpy by the morning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice