Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sneezing cat... advice please

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Alisonfoy, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Alisonfoy

Alisonfoy PetForums Senior

Hi everyone,

BlueBell started sneezing last night. Several sneezes and it seems like she is still periodically sneezing this morning.

As I rehomed her, I am not 100% certain whether she is up to date with her injections - although her previous owner took her to the vet just before she came to live with us to make sure she was 'up to date with everything' and I will be trying to get hold of her this morning to ask.

Her appetite is okay, her eyes look bright and clear, and there is no discharge or anything around her little nose. Can cats get affected by dust/allergies? She does have a habit of exploring every nook and cranny, including all the dusty ones.

I don't want to haul her off to the vet unnecessarily, but would appreciate some advice from those of you with lots of cat experience as to whether I am fussing about nothing, or whether all sneezes are a symptom of something being seriously wrong.

Thanks

PS - Of course, as I type this, she is on the bed next to me, snoozing with no sneezing

2. ljs85

ljs85 PetForums VIP

My boy McCoy sneezes a lot. We've been to the vets and had three courses of antibiotics as he also had a sore throat.

The sore throat has cleared up but the sneezing is still there (at least twice a day). He's eating and playing well and seems absolutely healthy apart from the sneezing. We're not taking him back to the vets unless we see any other symptoms (i.e.) discharge from his nose, gunky eyes, lethargy.

I'd trust your own judgement. If it maybe continues for a few days think about having a trip to the vets it just to be on the safe side.

3. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Yes, cats can suffer from allergies. I think it is important to take care with dust, clay litter, and all household chemicals. Given that BlueBell's sneeze is not productive and that she does not have conjunctivitis, I would not be inclined to take her to the vet. I would keep an eye on her and remove any potential environmental allergens, which will be beneficial for your own health too.

4. Catloverbearsden

Catloverbearsden PetForums Member

Both my cats have had single bouts of sneezing about a year ago and seemed to happen when they came back from the cattery but cleared up on its own with only the odd sneeze every now and again.

They have been back to the same Cattery since then with no reoccurrence.

The main things to look for with sneezing is discharge from the nose or eyes.

5. Alisonfoy

Thank you all. Bluebell is still sneezy, and there seems to be quite a lot of lip-smacking going on as well, but then again, she often does this.

Will be keeping a close eye on her, but good to know that generally sneezing is ok, providing there's no discharge etc. After the experience with Mrs T (taken to the vet for something I'd though was easily fixable, only to find it was terminal), I think I might be prone to over-worrying.

6. chocdonuty

chocdonuty PetForums Junior

Best to keep an eye on her, ollie had the sneezing and lip smacking, I'm presuming due to excess mucus. Ollie got quite withdrawn and lethargic, I took him to the vets and it was apparantly due to a virus, he had a temp of 105 :eek: £70 at the vets a few Injections and a week or so later he was back to normal.
    However it seemed mollie caught It off ollie and although she had the sniffles ect, she was a lot better in herself and didn't need the vets, maybe she was more resilient so it probably depends on the cat itself.
    Keep a close eye and if they need the vets, Im sure you will know whether its serious or not.

7. Satori

Good advice. OP, if you have a digital thermometer its really very quick to take the temperature yourself. Anything from 100-102.5 and it's quite unlikely that there's a viral infection. It can help you make the decision re vet trips. Do remember to clean it before popping under your tongue again though :D

#7 Satori, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  8. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Satori.....do you use the bum or ear for temperature? I have often meant to get used to checking temperatures but never got round to it.

9. Satori

Bum. The head moves around to much and I would be nervous about accidentally prodding something.

10. Alisonfoy

Thank you.. having just come in from an evening out, Bluebell has just sneezed several times. Clearly she isn't getting better just yet. Good idea about taking her temperature - however I only have one digital thermometer for the whole household. Not sure how I feel about putting it up her bum when we take our own temperatures orally!! :eek:

I'll review the situation in the morning. Until then however, what's the best treatment for a poorly sneezy puss? Try to keep her as warm as possible??

PS - another five consecutive sneezes as I've written this. Getting quite worried now

11. Alisonfoy

Bluebell doesn't sneeze when she is asleep, but does the moment she opens her eyes. I also noted her poo was smaller, softer and lighter in colour than usual in her tray.

Poor baby. Have coaxed her onto the bed. My preferred vet doesn't work on Mondays so am now in a quandary - wait another day till he is back or see someone else?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice