Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sneezing after nose infection

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Girly_cat1, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Girly_cat1

Girly_cat1 PetForums Newbie

My rabbit (female) had a nose infection last year and she's been sneezing since then. The vet claimed in her check up that there was no nasal discharge but I think I can see some. She's completely up to date with her vaccinations. I don't know that's wrong with her.

2. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

Has she been near sand? Sand could have gotten up her nose

Girly_cat1 likes this.
  3. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

It is rare that a rabbit would inhale sand. It would be wise to get your rabbit checked by a vet, especially if discharge is present.

Girly_cat1 likes this.
  4. Merixie

Merixie PetForums Member

If the vet can’t find any problems you can try having better ventilation and dusting the hay, before giving it to your bunny.

My own holland lop have chronic rhinitis and it get worse when he lives indoors. Because the dust becomes more confined compare with him living outdoors and always get a gentle breeze. So he don’t get stuffy noise when living outdoors. Myself can’t figure out what triggers the chronic rhinitis all the time indoors, sometimes when it’s bad he will get discharges. But this is something after doing a lot of tests and checking my bunnies molars, just to rule out other health issues.

Girly_cat1 likes this.
  5. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

The two main causes are either dust, or a chronic upper respiratory infection (also known as snuffles). The latter causes discharge, the former is less likely to unless there's something physically stuck up there like a hay seed.

Definitely worth making sure you're seeing an exotic rabbit-savvy vet and ask for a deep nasal swab test to see if it is an upper respiratory infection which can be treated with antibiotics.

Girly_cat1 likes this.
  6. Girly_cat1

Girly_cat1 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all the suggestions, another thing it could be is my other rabbit who is very fluffy and tends to shed his fur a lot. That or I need to clean their room of any dust that could be there

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice