Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

snatching food from hands!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by xxbailliexx, Jun 25, 2010.

1. xxbailliexx

xxbailliexx PetForums Member

hi everyone

really needing some advice please :mad:

my youngest daughter who is 6 was walking around with a slice of pizza in her hand and baillie has just jumped up and snatched it out of her hand.

hubby told her to drop it so she never got to eat it but she has gave my wee girl a fright :(

any advice on how we get it through to baillie that she has'nt to do this? we are really trying with her and her training but don't seem to be getting anywhere with her :(

thanks xx

2. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

The best thing I can think of, is teach your daughter to sit down whist eating, and keep Baillie behind a baby gate when the children have food.

If you explain to her it's like an adult holding a toy or sweet dangling infront of her nose, she is going to really going to want it.

Hey solves to problems choke risk for her and accidental nips from the dog.

Thats the way I would deal with it :)

3. tosca

tosca PetForums Member

I have to agree. It's not really fair on the dog to have food dangled at eye level, even if he knows he is not to touch. Much better to ask your little one to be grown up and eat at the table, and if the dog is about, not leave her unsupervised.

4. xxbailliexx

my daughter was NOT unsupervised!! my children are never left unsupervised with baillie, myself ,my husband and older daughter were all with my 6 year old child. the food was not being dangled in front of baillie's eyes my daughter was standing out the back as it is really warm with a slice of pizza in her hand and baillie just jumped and snatched it from her hand.

5. tosca

tosca PetForums Member

Calm down...nobody is accusing you of anything. You asked for advice, don't jump down people's throat just because you don't agree!

6. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

So sorry your daughter had a scare.

I am no expert....but the dog needs to learn when he can have something, and when he can not......i can sit, and eat by my dogs, and they will not jump up and try to get it. (they used to try, the buggers :lol:)

if the dog is young, then whilst trainning it is a good idea to have your girl sitting somewhere he cant get her.

Your daughter dropped it, did you husband make sure the dog didnt get it....i would have also said a firm NO and put the dog in another room.

It takes time, Ballie wont get it over night.....your girl had a scare....but he was only interested in her food....
    Even with trainned dogs, my owns will try and push it with my nieces.

7. xxbailliexx

i'm not jumping down anyones throat but you are telling me to tell a 6 year old to be grown up and sit at a table. she is not a grown up she is 6. no i dont agree with you because my daughter was not dangling food in front of baillie as you suggested, baillie walked upto her and jumped and snatched it from my wee girls hand, no sniffing just snatched.

i was asking for advice on how to teach baillie this is unacceptable not a lesson on how to teach my daughter to eat her dinner thanks. you also insinuated my daughter was unsupervised and i replied she was not nor is she ever unsupervised around our dog.

8. xxbailliexx

thanks GillyR this is the 1st time baillie has done this. we are trying hard with her training but she is in season at the minute so she can't get out for a good walk to burn her energy off although we are playing with her and trying to do some training with her as best we can untill we can find a class to take her to.

hubby said no to her and she dropped the pizza straight away. we have only had baillie 6 weeks and 3 weeks after we got her she started her 1st season so she obviously cant get out. she also had no training previously and so we have an 11 month old 2 stone staffy who has no training and no manners whatsoever but we really are trying and wont be giving up on her :D

thanks for the advice its much appriciated xx

9. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Dogs are natural scavengers. The advice form others to teach your girl to sit down whilst she eats is good and will save a lot of problems as no dog, not even a highly trained dog, can always be an angel. Instinct wins out every time where food is concerned.;)

10. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

I never ment for you to feel i was accusing you, and I am sorry if you took it to be so.

I worded the explaination in a way your 6 year old would be able to comprehend. I did not mean she was teasing.
    I did also suggest a baby gate too. Enabling separation, so you can all enjoy the meal.

11. xxbailliexx

thanks carolineH usually we are all sat at the table whilst eating but tonight the girls were really warm in the house so youngest asked if she could stand at the back door and i said yes (baillie was eating her dinner) she just appeared, no sniffing (which she does usually do lol she sticks her head in the air and has a right good sniff) she just frightened my youngest as she jumped and snatched which she has never done. she is great with the kids. she's only been here 6 weeks and she needs so much training :D but she is lovely we adore her already.

please don't take this post as being cheeky i really don't want to come across that way.
    she jumps in general and i don't really know how to stop her :frown: i tried posting on the staffordshire bull terrier website but someone advised to put stones in a bottle and shake it near her ears which i really dont want to do.

i think untill she can go back out for walks and we find a training class we'll put a safty gate up.
    thanks again for the advice xx

12. xxbailliexx

sue&harvey that was'nt aimed at you sorry if you thought it was :(
    until i find a training class and baillie can get back out for walks we're going to use a safty gate thanks for the advice it really is appreciated and sorry if you thought i was having a dig at you.

GillyR likes this.
  13. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

You don't need to yell at the dog or use aversives - please don't negatively effect the relationship your dog and children have - good things need to happen when they are together ;)

Sorry that your daughter got a fright - its happened to me and unexpectedley it can certainly shake you! Kid training and dog training needed :D Dogs do this sort of thing so its a good idea to teach children to eat in one place, prefereably high up in a proper chair.

Get the kids involved in training simple exercises such as 'on your mat' and 'leave it' so that if she does move around with food the dog has a behaviour to fall back on.
    Here is more on mat work and leave it training.

Now that you dog has received a reward for this behaviour (even though she didn't actually eat the food the event that immediatley followed the behaviour of snatching was having the food so it has been reinforced!) so management will need to be stepped up.

Thankfully your dog has great control of his jaws and no damage was done :)
    If you take something forbidden and highly rewarding from your dog remember to practice several object exchanges where your dog wins so that getting things off him stays easy!

14. xxbailliexx

thank you tripod
    baillie is quite a nervous dog so we don't tend to raise our voices at her much although hubby did tell her in a kind of sharp tone to drop it but as you have said she allready had the reward of the taste lol
    we are practicing the object swapping with her all the time and you can take anything from her although if she does have something we dont want her to have we tell her to drop it and she does.

your right aswell as in no damage was done and i dont believe for a minute she would have bit my daughter anyway she just seemed to appear from nowhere, walk by and take the pizza :) it was all so quick but definately with no malice in it she just wanted the pizza lol my daughter feeds her aswell under the table! we never put a stop to this as we thought that would help the bond between dog and child if you know what i mean but i admit we are complete novices at dog ownership and this really is a learning curve for us also.

i have been searching for dog training books online and have ordered a clicker aswell.

we knew when we took baillie on it was going to be hard as she really does need to start from scratch regards her training but we'll never give up on her we all love her to bits :D youngest daughter is fine now (was just the initial fright) and asks every night if baillie can sleep in her bed lol (she is crate trained and sleeps in the livingroom)

thanks also for the links will go have a look xx

15. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

You are doing great with Bailey :)

There are lots of free resources on Dog Star Daily - sign up to the site for free and get Dr Dunbar's Before and After you Get Your Puppy for free. These books are great for grown up dogs too so check them out!

There is a month's worth of daily training plans on my blog too which you can also check out: Train Your Dog « pawsitive dogs

Canis Clicker training also do a free 7 day trial with excellent clicker tips each day: 7 Day FREE Clickertraining Course

There are so many resources available to owners, its great - best of luck :)

16. xxbailliexx

thank you so much tripod i really appriciate that and hubby says thanks for taking the time to post the links aswell it means a lot. we feel like there is a huge mountain to climb with baillie but we will not give up, she is soo sweet and is fantastic with my daughters. thanks again xx

17. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

Ray was a jumper as well, to put a stop to this it worked to totally turn my back on him and ignore him, took time but it worked. They jump out of excitement and they express it throw their mouth, often jumping goes with nipping as well. Once Ray got that jumping was not rewarding he devised his own excitement contingency plan by picking a toy up.

When he sees people he still jumps and people tends to just tell him to stop (attention), put their hands down to block him (more attention) or worse enjoy it and encourage it! :( So what I do I pick anything up and give it to him, he picks it in his mouth and stops jumping instantly as he is now carrying something to the person, the object can be as trivial as a piece of paper, anything works, except for food.

Hope you find something that works for you, they come and jump because they are happy it's a bit cruel to punish them for it :)

Which staffie forum did you go to?

18. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

You very welcome :) You'll get there - any help just ask :thumbup:

19. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Really nice to see an owner putting themselves out for their dogs education xxbailliexx :thumbup:

lozb likes this.
  20. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

A book that I found really good was "The Complete idiots guide to positive dog training" by Pamela Dennison. Explains things really well. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice