Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Snappy pup

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jessinewb, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Jessinewb

Jessinewb PetForums Newbie

hi we are first time dog owners and have a beautiful little staffy cross American bulldog.
    My question is how do we stop him chewing on the kiddies. I know he is only playing and the kids love tug of war and ball games but he gets really nippy and starts off just mouthing but then gets a little heavy with his teeth (he nipped really hard and made my little ones leg bleed) we try the ignoring and then praising when he stops but if the kids do this he just barks and nips harder. He never does this to my husband or myself? Any help would be brilliant thank you

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

It sounds like he's getting overstimulated, which is why he's ignoring the kids ignoring him. Is there anywhere you can put him that's away from everyone for just a minute or so in order for him to calm down? If you do this persistently when he's nipping the kids instead of the toys, he'll learn that biting flesh means no play.

Jessinewb likes this.
  3. Jessinewb

He has his crate one inside and one outside. That would make sense I have 4 kids and they all love to play with him, maybe it's just too much all at once?

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

How old are the children?

If they are old enough to walk away calmly into a room behind that's usually the best option.

The problem with picking up puppies to be removed is I like touch to be associated with positive things...so do puppies. So the initial 'i will pick you up and move you' can make the behaviour worse, as they are craving attention, touch being the best.
    To remove puppies it's best to do so with a houseline...and put in to a separate room. A houseline is basically a lead with no handle so it's light weight and safe to dangle, and should be attached to a well fitted harness ideally.

Never use a crate for time outs for nipping, especially in such young puppies. It should be their calm place where they love to go, it's a great tool and can keep puppies and dogs safe. It can be easily become a place that they hate if being lead in for being over zealous.

Please train the kids well, which I am sure you will too. My boys were brought up with dogs and I found them a great comfort for them, and they gained respect and so much more...my youngest child was only a year old when we bought a dog into the household so it can be done.

MiffyMoo and Jessinewb like this.
  5. Jessinewb

11, 6, 4 and 18 months.
    Maybe instead of picking up the puppy I can tell the children or pick the little one up and remove them instead. I would hate for him to not feel happy in his crate.
    Will have to get a house line where can I buy one please?

6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

You can buy one or make one out of a cheap lead and cut off the handle! Usually good pet stores have them but really make your own will be suffice for now.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice