Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Snapping at random dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Allybean11, Apr 15, 2019 at 8:10 PM.

1. Allybean11

Allybean11 PetForums Junior

Tilly has been fine for a while. If she greets other dogs, she’ll sniff them and wander off. She’s very good at coming back if I sense a stand off with a dog. As soon as I call her name she comes straight back to me.

Today, however, she met a larger dog, sniffed for a bit, then snapped and growled with seemingly no provocation at all! The other dog just backed away afterwards (it was a male)

Why is this? Does she sense something that I don’t sense? Do male dogs give off the indication they may mount before any action takes place? (She is spayed) I’m just worrying that this will happen more and more and I want to nip it in the bud before it progresses, or should I just let her tell off dogs that seem to do nothing as she may sense something about them I don’t know?

2. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Member

Well, of course, dog’s sense lots of things we don’ - but you know that . My gut reaction is that you might be overthinking this. There was something your dog didn’t like about the other (whose social skills MIGHT not have been so good, in that ge May have missed earlier messages from your dog); she warned him off and he then got the message. I honestly think that you will just have to see if it becomes habitual and honestly I shouldn’t worry about it for now. Dogs send signals to each other to communicate their acceptance of rejection of a stranger - as with humans, it doesn’t always go well, but it’s not necessarily a great problem. Just see how it goes.

Burrowzig likes this.
  3. Barkingmad57

Barkingmad57 PetForums Junior

My Dylan growled at a dog in the park the other day, the first time I've ever heard him growl in the 5 months we've had him.
    This particular dog came up to us suddenly, and just stood still very close to us. He was a lab cross with only one eye which was blue, and just seemed a bit strange to me as well as Dylan!! Then he just disappeared again, no owner in sight.
    I agree with Ian246, Tilly just sensed something "off", like Dylan did, and it will probably, and hopefully never happen again.

Burrowzig likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice