Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Snapped tooth!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Horse and Hound, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Roo has snapped his tooth! One of his upper canines! He was playing with a tug toy with Harvey and he suddenly let to and started licking his mouth. I've had a check and it looks like it's snapped vertically!

I'm presuming he'll need this out at the vets now. Anyone else ever had this? He has had a drink of water and seems fine in himself.

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

:eek:
    If it was me, I would defo see the vet because I have never heard of a tooth snapping like that it *could* mean there is something wrong?

Dixie has chipped the end off one of her top teeth behind the canine and I have seen dogs with half a tooth snapped horizontaly but not this before.

3. Horse and Hound

It's hard to describe. Most of the tooth is still there but it's not a horizontal snap if that makes sense.

Will be at the vets with him tomorrow anyway, wouldn't leave him like that, just wondered if anyone else had dogs without teeth, as it's likely to come out!!

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Plenty of older dogs have a tooth or two missing and are fine :)

I used to know a dog with only two half canines, the top two were missing and the bottom two worn down because he used to be obsessed with chewing rocks! They wet his food a little but I dunno if that was just cause he was old.

ETA he still had the rest of his teeth lol.

5. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Vet will probably take it out.
    Wont bother him, they can manage fine without one:D

6. Horse and Hound

One of the JRTs at the yard has ground down canines actually now I think about it from rock chomping!!

7. Horse and Hound

Not that it matters, but so I am prepared, we looking at about £200?

8. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

I've often wondered this... I've assumed dogs teeth are super-strong... ok.. now I've googled it.. get him seen quick before it gets infected.

9. Horse and Hound

OH is gonna take him tomorrow morning if he isn't in work, all depends if he is called in. If not I'll finish work early in the afternoon and take him. He is drinking ok at the moment, which is my main worry. He probably won't want any food tomorrow but will see.

10. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

No, my advice is free. My jokes on the other hand must be paid for if re-used.

11. Horse and Hound

Knew I shouldn't have googled it!! Root Canal surgery is mentioned at the best part of £1000 !? But this seems to be the choice for those showing... Oh god I dunno!!

Jesus Rupert... You and that bloody toy!!!

12. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

My mum's dog snapped one of his canines very low, you could see the pulp stuff and he seemed fine. We took hom to the vet and they advised removal and said it would be an easy job etc. However, beware! Apparently it is quite a big deal and your dog will be very sore afterwards, Whisky got an infection in the wound and was on antibiotics for a while but he manages fine now and you wouldn't really notice he had one missing.

I would rather have that happen tbh than him get an infection in the tooth and an abcess as that would have prolonged the pain etc :( Just be prepared for a few days of discomfort and poor Whiskey looking very sorry for himself.

13. Horse and Hound

Yeah he would milk it bless him but rather this than a nasty infection down the line. He's still only a baby really as well. Daft git!

Was it an expensive procedure? I'm just seeing what I'll need from the savings account.

14. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

It was a couple of years ago now and I really can't remember sorry :(

15. Horse and Hound

No pros. I'll budget on £200. I'm hoping it wouldn't be much more

16. unicorn

unicorn PetForums Member

Wow just had to read it again….and again
    £200 is allot of money for taking out a tooth!!!:confused:
    £1000 for a Root Canal surgery ????????

#16 unicorn, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  17. Horse and Hound

I was just googling. I'm hoping it won't be £200 but you never know. He'll have to go under I would expect. Vets opens at half 8 so I'll know then.

18. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Both Alfie and Muddy have had a tooth out.
    Alfie actually half pulled a canine out himself on a tree root and Muddy snapped one of his canines :eek:

I think £200 would be quite reasonable

19. Horse and Hound

Well been to the vets who looked at it and said he doesnt want to do anything unless it causes him a problem as the roots of the incisors are really deep. He said it's a clean snap so no jagged edges and prodded it with some kind of metal took and Roo didn't even move. Said it will either cause a problem or it wont and doesn't want to put him under as it's quite a big operation due to the root of the tooth, do unless it's needed he won't do it.

Have to watch him eating incase he as a problem and have some gel to rub on for next few days.

As I type he is tucking into breakfast so hopefully that should be ok.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice