Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Snap Check Test

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Chris Bell, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Chris Bell

Chris Bell PetForums Newbie

We have a breeding queen who is ready for her 1st mating. The Studs owners are asking for a Snap Check, which is fine by me.

Problem is my local Vets (I've asked a few) don't stock the check and say it can take 48-72hrs to turn around. This owner wants a test prior to 24hrs of mating? I can't see why it's 24hrs as she's a 100% indoor cat.

Main question is does anyone know of any vets in Warwickshire (preferably Rugby) that can do the complete check on-site.? I believe it's like a pregnancy test kit with an immediate result from a sample of blood, or obviously send off the sample and get a result from the Lab.

I don't want her to have to travel any further than she has to to have it done. Apart from changing the Stud, any other ideas or suggestions welcome.

Chris

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Sorry, not in your area but it is a very quick test, results within minutes, no need to send anything to a lab.If you have vet that stocks the test there shouldn't be aproblem in getting the result. When I first started breeding I had to phone around the vets in my area before I found one who knew what I was asking for. Ask for a FeLV / FiV test and say that you need the results straight away.
    A stud owner can't just take your word that your cat is indoor only I'm afraid and if you found one who didn't ask for a SNAP test I wouldn't go near them.

3. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

It's a nightmare getting snap tests done, and they're not at all reliable. Where abouts is the stud, I might be able to recommend a vet my way if you're travelling north

4. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Sorry, I can't agree with this. If the breeder knows you and your cats well, a snap test is unnecessary stress for the cat and doesn't always give the right result, they are known to give false positives.

If it's an unknown stud then yes, a snap test is needed. I would question the choice of going to an unknown though, a breeder should have made contacts before taking their girl to stud

5. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

The vet your local rescue uses will most likely have the ‘snap’ FIV/FeLV test in stock. The RVN will draw blood and put a drop on the test (it’s a bit like a human pregnancy test but with blood not urine) and it’s a 5 minute wait for the results. They then should give you a print out of the results to send / show to the stud owner.

If you are out of luck locally, you could go to the stud owners vet.

6. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

And if it's the stud of someone you're friendly with, but who hasn't visited your house? I agree that Snap tests aren't massively accurate, but they're better than no test. Not everyone is in their stud owner's back pocket, but it doesn't make them wrong for using them.

lymorelynn likes this.
  7. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Ask to see, prior to leaving your girl there, copies of the stud's up to date test results also. It's a two way thing.

lymorelynn likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice