Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Snake dilemma

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Lunabuma, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Lunabuma

Lunabuma Owned by two Orientals

Hi peeps, I suspect I'm in for a beating here but am going to ask your opinions anyway.

My husband has an adult corn snake called Gabriel. I don't hate it but I really wish we didn't have it in our house at all. He said recently that I can sell it and the custom built vivarum if I want. Part of me worries that it goes to someone that will not look after it properly and I'm not sure someone's home could be vetted for suitability like it would for a cat. (I would never rehome one of my beloved cats). I would much rather he sold it and im sure he will if I insist. It does have a negative impact on my life.

He's had it since it was a worm (bought when we moved in together 5 years ago) and it does have a sort of sweet face. He looks after it well usually but we recently bought a small freezer for the shed and I made him keep the young rats out there meaning he wasn't fed as often as usual. I've also had to go out and buy rats because there were none left and felt bad for it not having been fed. My husband also forgets to replace the vivarium light meaning he has a heat mat only for long periods of time - there's no light on today. He is cleaned regularily but my husband complains he doesn't have enough time to clean him. Since we got our cats 3 years ago, poor Gabriel is rarely handled although he is still friendly and has never struck at us.

We have a 5 month old baby and I have postnatal depression which manifests in me worrying and having anxiety about E's health and I worry about the possibility of her getting salmonella somehow from the snake.

My best friend is afraid of snakes and lives in North Yorkshire. She tried to stay at my house but got no sleep for worrying about it being downstairs and cried a lot. I'm in Surrey and it means I don't get to see my best mate unless I travel up to her. She has a real phobia!

The vivarium is in my living room and there's no where else it can go.

We could just maintain status quo and keep him or I could push to re-home him. My husband wouldn't hold it against me but probably would refer to it in the heat of a humdinger of an arguement I'm sure. Would Gabrial be better off with someone else? Would it be better for me?

2. RubyFelicity

RubyFelicity PetForums Senior

Well if your husband is prepared to get rid of him perhaps he doesn't love him that much? Maybe someone who owns a few snakes/has a passion for them would be a good new owner? I think the snake should be considered first.

Lunabuma likes this.
  3. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Out of order Magnus :mad:

You can and should vet future owners for suitability - is there any one down on the reptile section that can give you advice? It sounds like perhaps Gabriel does need a new home so the best thing to do is make sure he gets a good one.

Salmonella is very unlikely with good hygiene, which I am sure you have. Bear with it until you can find him a good home so that you know you did the right thing by him.

Lunabuma likes this.
  4. grumpy goby

grumpy goby Grumpy wench.

Rehoming does sound like the best thing for everybody, including the snake. Try to find a reptile enthusiast or someone you are confident will be able to provide a good home :) As previous poster said, reptile chat may be a start

Lunabuma likes this.
  5. Lunabuma

That did make me laugh out loud but seriously, he did escape once and I was worried one of my cats had bitten his head off or something.

Where are you from Magnus? I'm originally from Redcar.

#5 Lunabuma, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  6. Nagini

Nagini PetForums Senior

if he's not cleaning the snake out frequently then there is a HIGH possibility of salmonella and health problems concerning the snake although i see this isn't the case so the risk is minimal , your best bet would be to rehome i keep snakes and have a nice collection in my home , however i have no interest in corns , i only have a rescue one. your best bet would be to get in touch with proteus reptile trust Proteus Reptile Trust - Home if you insist he must rehome the snake.

also corns don't require lighting if there is another heat controlled source , such as a heat mat.

#6 Nagini, Nov 14, 2014
    Lunabuma likes this.
  7. Shikoku

Shikoku PetForums VIP

I don't mean to worry you but your baby is more likely to get salmonella from a public place or your Cats rather than from your Corn Snake, she would have to give the Snake a good 'gumming' to be at risk, so that, I wouldn't worry about. It's still good practice for your husband to wash his hands after dealing with or feeding the Corn snake though.

It does seem like your husband has lost interest in the Corn snake so in my opinion it is probably best to be re-homed but the reptile 'market' is flooded with Corns because they're extremely popular because they're over-bred and generally quite cheap.

Your best bet would be to contact local reptile rescues, if no luck then try independent reptile shops or pet shops that sell reptiles they may have him off you but don't expect them to pay much if anything at all. Another option is to advertise the Snake on reptile forums or free classifieds sites, anyone who gets in touch ask them questions about the care requirements for the Corn snake just to make sure they know how to keep him healthy and well.

Best of luck in your decisions!

Lunabuma likes this.
  8. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

Corns only really need a full enclosure clean and disinfect every few weeks to a month with the addition of routine spot-cleans to remove waste as soon as possible to prevent the growth of any mold or bacteria. They don't mess frequently so this shouldn't be too much of a chore. Lighting is not really required, I only use a light if the air temperature gets cool, usually during winter, but the heat mat is the primary heat source. Salmonella risk is pretty low, especially with a hand washing regime in place and the fact that not all snakes carry salmonella (especially snakes in the pet trade). His care towards the snake may not be as inadequate as you suspect but I can't make that judgement as I can't see the situation. You'll have to really assess why you think the snake should be re-homed and if you think your decision is justified. The welfare of the snake is the main consideration here, as it would be with any animal, but if a pet is affecting you so much you'll have to factor that in to your decision.

Lunabuma likes this.
  9. Lunabuma

Thank you so much guys! You are right, Gabriel's needs first and if that's a more loving home then so be it.

We're going to look to re-home him after Christmas. If you reptile people know anyone who would be interested PM me and I'm happy to drive for a couple of hours for a good home. He's a lovely big calm snake.

#9 Lunabuma, Nov 14, 2014
  10. Lunabuma

Just looked into the contact details of the reptile shop Gabe came from in Camden and it has closed because the owner Simon King died of Lung Cancer last year. Very sad, he was a very nice and helpful bloke and I'm sure he would have helped re-home him. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice