Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Snake dilemma (my cats are mentioned)

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lunabuma, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Lunabuma

Lunabuma Owned by two Orientals

2. ALR

ALR PetForums VIP

I read your post. I like corn snake and probably any other animals out there.

I think it's unfair of your husband to get you to look after his snake especially if you are scared of snakes. My whole family is scared of snakes. So I understand the fear that comes with it.

In my opinion you should rehome the snake but find the right home for it. And make sure you vet the new owners well before sending Gabriel to his new home. Or find out if there is a good reptile rescue around where you live and chat with them first to understand their process.

I know corn snakes are not venomous and they do look sweet:). But I wouldn't have a baby and snakes in the same home. Even if it's not a constrictor. I just think snakes are an adult only pet.

Just wondering, are the cats scared of the snake or do they think it's prey?

3. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

If it were me I think I would try to rehome it. Especially if it's not getting the full time and attention it needs. There are a lot of people who are passionate about snakes and have the time and commitment to looking after them. I would try to vet the potential new owners as a cat rescue would so that you are confident it is going to the right home.

4. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't push for the rehome. How would you feel if he pushed you to get rid of one of your cats? you say he'd do it if you really pushed, but is that fair? Far better to push him to actually look after the snake properly, and make sure he knows it's his responsibility. Unfortunately, I think your friend's phobia is irrelevant, otherwise you firstly wouldn't have had the snake in the house initially, and secondly, would have brought it up many years ago.

Sorry lovely. I know you must be feeling crap, but this isn't the way to handle the situation. Have a go at him for not caring for it, sure, but don't make him rehome unless he chooses to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice