Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Snake bite or?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SpicyBulldog, Jun 1, 2017.

1. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums VIP

Does this look like it could be snake bite? Or something else barbed wire? Spider I wouldn't think but? My biggest concern would be snake, but I'm wondering if a none venomous type could cause these results.

Attached Files:

2. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Is that a puncture wound just to the left of the 'black spot'?
    could he have been stung by a wasp/bee/hornet?
    trip to the vets methinks xx

3. SpicyBulldog

Hi thanks for the reply.
    Yes it's a puncture type wound, there is another if you look near the collar D ring.
    It is hematoma like, blood filled, not a lot of tissue swelling like Id expect from a wasp. No puss to indicate infection.
    She's been at the vet since 11 am. She will be staying overnight as they want to do surgery.

4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

How fast did it come up? There is a lot of hair missing looks like it has been rubbed off which would have happened over time.

5. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

well fingers x that everything turns out well for her (sorry about the gender change) and its nothing to worry about
    If that was a snake wound then it would have one big mouth, as i can see no duplicate puncture wounds next to each other
    just a thought is there any way she couldve got caught on barbed wire and punctured her throat by twisting and turning to get free? even for a few seconds?
    two puncture wounds that far apart and a blood filled swelling sounds like it couldve got wrapped around her throat, causing a strangulation type wound
    ( Im probably talking rubbish, so ignore if you want to)

6. SpicyBulldog

I noticed she had a nice a lump Monday with some hair missing. The hair seems to have fallen off in the area of swelling, it looks similar to being rubbed off but dont think that happened? The lump was soft and blood filled, it wasn't there (at least not noticeably so) Mon morn but was noticeable in late afternoon. I didn't let her do anymore running around or work her, ect as didn't want to aggravate it. On Tues it actually looked smaller, like there was some looser skin where it had been swollen. She was confined yesterday while as was at work so no exercersion or pressure on it but it was bigger when I got home. I actually took the pic last night and called vet at 9 am this morning. Moe hair is missing compared to Monday. There is the 2nd puncture at the top, but it's never been swollen that big. I think the bottom puncture is probably what did it.

Yeah probably not a snake, I'm sure I'm worried about that for nothing. I only hope she has a quick recovery. Yes, I thought maybe barbed wire because of how the punctured looked. I don't think necessarily strangling as simply puncture/ damage to vein can cause subcutaneous blood to pooling. I didn't know if large thorns or thistle as well, easy to run into them.

7. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

That would have to be one hell of a big snake so unlikely. Fingers crossed it heals ok.

SpicyBulldog likes this.
  8. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Sounds almost like an abscess. Those "puncture" wounds could be places where the abscess tried to drain?
    Did you notice on Monday if it was hot/warm to the touch?

Any brown recluse spiders in your area?

Katalyst likes this.
  9. SpicyBulldog

That was my first concern, just didn't think so with it only having blood and no pus or anything. No it hasn't been warm at that time or since, I tried not to feel on it too much though. There was only a small amount of what feels like swollen tissue, but there is so much fuild it was hard to feel everything / anything anymore.

Yes, there are a lot of spiders around, see them daily. I haven't seen any brown recluse at this place, unlike my other house, but they are certainly in the area and possibly around. Her great great grand dam was bitten by one and lost a lot of flesh in her leg, some of it was removed by the vet to prevent the necrosis from spreading. It left noticeable missing muscle and such after healing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice