Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Snake and hamster

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by thedogsmother, Jul 27, 2009.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

2. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

How strange :confused:

They've apparently been living together since October so it seems a pretty serious relationship :p

It is unfair that they have to live feed the snake, but if it won't eat frozen food then it has to eat somehow :(

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I'm not a snake person but I thought that it was also dangerous for the snake to be live fed, so surely living with the hamster puts the snake in danger of injury. And the hamster looks huge compared to the snakes head so this might just be a publicity thing.

4. devilsofdarkness

devilsofdarkness PetForums Junior

surpriingly this does happen..however as soon as the snake is properly hungry it will be bye bye hamster,,,,ive ahd many snakes in the past and sadly had a royal python that would not eat dead at all and in desperation i tried to feed it live....the snake didnt eat it but the mouse and snake lived happily together for a few days...I then decided that if the snake had wanted to eat it would have done so removed the mouse and kept it as a pet till it passed peacefully of its own accord....It is true that the snake can be in danger from the hamster and rodent bites on snakes can be very nasty even resulting in infection and death so i do consider the irresponsible for the way that they have handled this situation.....

There is a lot of disagreement in feeding reps live food but as stated above some animals will not eat frozen and in the wild they eat LIVE......so really it is mother nature kicking in again!!

5. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

same thing happened to my dad, the mouse was still there 24 hours later so he kept it as a pet and called it lucky (original i know, lol)

the two in the artical should have been seperated before now, its not safe for either of them to be there. its very stupid of them to leave them together, accidents do happen. i think they probably just want to draw more visitors in but im sure the visitors wont be happy when they see one of them eating the other, no matter which way round it is.

6. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I saw this in the papers a while back. I wonder if the snake ever did eat the hamster or if it died of old age because it was over three years ago. I hope it didn't. :sad:

7. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Yes, I agree, it's only a matter of time before something goes wrong with that "relationship". What the article is failing to mention is that a year ago when the hamster was given to the snake it must have been just a small pup, barely weaned. Wonderful.

8. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

Poor little hamster. I saw that video a while back and i remember being completely speachless :eek:
    I didn't know what to think at first :(

9. mousemighty

mousemighty PetForums Member

snakes go months with out eating , so gerbil will be safe for a bit. and to life feed is mindless as the snake surely was eating dead mice before or have they always live feed there prey, shame on zoo , at least stun the animal, as amouse /gerbil can do serious damgae to a snake , they should of took the gerbil out thats what i think

10. spankingtigger

spankingtigger PetForums Member

but wat they dont mention just looking at the snakes cloudy eyes is that when they are about to shed they go of there food anyway and the cloudy eyes is a sign of the snake shedding in the near future, but i have never heard of anyone feeding a hamster to a snake before, mice and rats yes but a hammy and it looks like a roborovskii aswell :(

11. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

my college bred their own rodents for thier snakes etc, the fed mice, rats, gerbils and hamsters. also as they often bred to many (students doing breeding as part of a course) students could have them for free or they would be culled and sold as food for other reptiles, birds of prey etc.

12. spankingtigger

spankingtigger PetForums Member

my college used to do that 2 but still cant remember them doing it with hammy and gerbils. they do say you learn something new everyday lol

13. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

That article is stupid. It;s snakes natural instinct to kill small animals like that. As soon as the snake gets hungry, there'll be no more hamster. Also, what happens if the hamster attacks the snake at some point? Hammies can be vicious beasties and could seriously hurt the snake.

Some people are so idiotic it;s unbelievable >_<

Peace
    Akai-Chan

14. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Yeah, I completely agree. A friend of a friend had a snake and they had to go away for awhile so they put in two mice with it thinking it would eat both and be fine for the weeks they were gone. But after eating one mouse the snake went into stupor, and the surviving mouse KILLED it while it lay there digesting.

15. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

I have seen this before, makes me mad.

I feel sorry for both the snake and the hamster, they should of taken the hammie out ages ago, its a lil russian one aswel :(

the snake wont eat frozen food, but it will only be a matter of timebefore it eats its friend!

has anyone seen on youtube, the one of a snake actually eating a live hamster you can hear the poor thing squeaking :( and the people recording it are laughing!

x

16. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I don't think i want to see the youtube video... sounds horrible! Poor hammies :(

I feel bad every time my cat kills a bird as well :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice