Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

snails

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by shirleystarr, Aug 23, 2013.

1. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

Over the past few years the wet summers enjoyed across the UK have proved the ideal breeding grounds for snails.
    “

They are not just lettuce munchers, they are carriers of parasites that can kill your dogs”
    End Quote
    Dr Dave Hodgson

University of Exeter

According to the Royal Horticultural Society, their numbers increased by 50% last year.

As well as being a pest for gardeners, snails can also spread a parasite called Angiostrongylus vasorum.

This lungworm is a particular threat to dogs, which can become infected by accidentally eating slugs or snails which they come across in the garden or on dog toys.

2. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

yeah they are a real pain I've been having to regularly patrol the yard picking them up lungworm is very dangerous to as I have been warned hence the patrols.:mad:

3. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Funny because since I have been encouraging birds into my garden more especially Blackbirds and my two visiting thrushes my snail population is down by at least 50% if not more. They used to climb up my patio window at night but I haven't seen a single one in months. The only issue now is sweeping up the shells from the garden steps.

I wish the news had focused more on natural snail predators rather than just the one gardener bird lover.

Loved the video of them all lit up though.

No mention of the fact that we didn't have lung worm a few years ago. Wonder why that is :rolleyes:

4. shirleystarr

never heard of lungworm here either before this but will be keeping my eyes out for any snails and slugs too

5. hushtalk

hushtalk PetForums Senior

How does lungworm spread? When dogs eat them or is it even the slime they carry?

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Alfie likes to bring slugs in and drop them on my lap!:(
    I make sure that I treat them with Advocate spot on a couple of times a year as it works for lungworm as well as other parasites.

7. shirleystarr

I think its the slime that they carry most of the time

8. hushtalk

hushtalk PetForums Senior

That is a worry as they even come inside at night here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice