Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

!! Snail help please!! Think George might be ill!

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by NiamhOb1, Jan 10, 2021.

1. NiamhOb1

NiamhOb1 PetForums Newbie

Hello all, thanks for reading this!

I've had my Giant African Land Snail (George) for around 6 years or now. Love him to pieces. He was a rescue so I have no clue re age/breed/etc, but he was definitely a baby when we got him.

I've gone to his tank today & it seems that part of him is bulging out of his shell, differently than I've ever seen before. He keeps looking at the area too, so I'm worried there might be a problem.

Having had a google (worst thing to do - I know) it says that he might be dying...Could anybody help either confirm or put my mind at ease, please??

Have attached pic for clarity! Thank you in advance!!

Attached Files:

2. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Looks like a mantle collapse to me, has the flesh come away from the shell?

If it is a mantle collapse unfortunately there is nothing you can do to save him. Six years is a very good age for snails nowadays so well done for caring for him so well.

3. NiamhOb1

Hi Leanne77 - thank you for replying & for your kind words.

I have checked on him again & the flesh is still somewhat connected (as in I can't see into the shell), but it has definitely bulged out much further than normal. He seems to have retracted into himself, but not into the shell, and is in the same position I put him in 8 hours ago. I'll be distraught to see George go, but I assume this is an old age thing, right?

Hate to ask this question, but I really have no clue - what's the best way to deal with a deceased snail? Would burial be an option or is that detrimental to certain soils etc?
    Thank you for any help, this forum is a great lifeline in a time of sudden sadness.

4. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Personally, because I'm not attached emotionally to my snails, dead ones go in the freezer in a specific bag (along with their eggs, stick insect eggs etc) and then simply put in the bin when they've been in the freezer a few days. Some I pop in the garden to decompose if I want to keep their shells.

Mantle collapse can bue due to old age or poor genetics. Six years is pretty old.

5. NiamhOb1

Hi Leanne77 - thanks again for your reply. His condition is definitely deteriorating (as in further collapse is much more evident) so if he doesn't pass tonight then I don't see it being very long at all. I've just been trying to keep him warm & the tank humid - is there anything else I can do to keep him comfortable/help?

We will be buring him in the garden. Thank you very much for the advice!

6. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Any update on your snail?

7. NiamhOb1

Hi Leanne77! Thanks for checking up! To my massive surprise he's still hanging in there - collapse is getting gradually worse & I dont think he's able to fully retreat into his shell any more either. He is motionless for hours until I give him a bath (in his tank with the spray bottle tho - I'm too afraid he might fall out of the shell completely if I pick him up.) He eats a little but mainly just rests himself on the food - especially liking the thick bits of cucumber.
    Doing what I can to keep him comfy, he's always been one hell of a survivor haha! Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Many thanks again :)

8. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

There is nothing you can do to make him better, a mantle collapse is not fixable so I've got no advice to give I'm afraid, it's just a case of waiting for the inevitable.

I would personally euthanise as it's the kindest thing to do imo but I realise that's not for everybody.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice