Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

snail help needed!!!!!

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by snail_love, May 11, 2010.

1. snail_love

snail_love PetForums Member

hi, I have another post but it wasnt getting many answers and wasnt clear!

I have two pet snails. They are both banded snails, one younger than the other (its shell pattern hasnt come through yet)

I was wondering, (im quite new to snails)
    • can i keep the snails together?
    • Will they have eggs?
    • How do i find the eggs?
    • How do i destroy the eggs?
    • Why do my snails sleep on the roof of their tank? (i dont have any hiding places yet, ive only had them two days!)
    • Is compost a good substrate?
    Thanks and I will really REALLY appreciate it if you reply even if someone else already has!!

2. metame

metame PetForums VIP

that may have been because i hadnt seen your reply and noone else has been on yet.

-yes
    -yes - once they are both of a similar size
    -they will be buried under the substrate
    -gather them all up, put them in a food bag and freeze them in the freezer for a few hours. although banded snails are a uk species so i dont see why you cant just put the eggs outside if you;re in the uk *shrugs*
    -maybe thats just where they're happy. if they dont have hideouts yet and the rood is coloured then this is where it will be darker also
    -compost is fine. organic compost is better. other substrates include bark, etc.

3. snail_love

Thanks so much for your answers! i feel a lot better! what foods would you suggest for them, as im clueless!!!
    Thanks again!

4. metame

metame PetForums VIP

most fruit and veg are good for them, different lettuces, cucumber, cabbage etc. there are full lists on the net if you google it :)

5. snail_love

thanks much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice