Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Smol dog harness - picky criteria

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by O2.0, Sep 19, 2020.

1. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

It's another harness thread!
    I'll do a search this weekend but I figured I'd start with the hive mind here :D

I need a better harness for Penny, here are my requirements:
    1) Can slip on over the head fairly easily. Step-in is a PITA with a busy little dog bouncing with excitement because OMG we're going for a walk!! Yeah, yeah, I know I can train her to stay calm but I don't wanna, she's cute and fun when she's that excited, and I like the enthusiasm. I just want to be able to slip something on her quickly with minimal fuss.
    2) Doesn't sit on her shoulder joint. Every non step in I've looked at sits right over the shoulder joint, usually with some sort of hardware there too.
    3) Not the mesh ones or heavily padded. The mesh is not a deal breaker, but I'd really prefer something that doesn't cover big swaths of her body. It's hot here.
    4) Can be worn with a coat - either adjustable to go over or can fit comfortably under a coat. It's also cold here in the winter and the poor thing STILL hasn't grown back her belly hair.
    5) No plastic hardware. Metal hardware but not huge or heavy. This is a 9 pound dog.
    6) Fits a 9 pound dog, adjustable too please.

And... go!

LinznMilly likes this.
  2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Do you have perfect fits your way @O2.0 ?

3. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

I use this on Alfie. Only thing is it does have plastic clips, but good quality for the price. Its an Ancol comfort harness.

wp_20200506_18_23_09_pro.jpg

O2.0 likes this.
  4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Chloe my little Tibetan Spaniel used to wear one. She only weighed 10 pounds and of all the makes I tried I found. this was the best for a tiny dog

O2.0 and Kaily like this.
  5. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Senior

I tried perfect fit for Teddy my toy poodle puppy who is 7 months and although I tried various combinations couldn’t get one that I could use over a coat the tiny range were a good fit but the neck hole too small over a coat and the clips were very tiny and made of plastic. The 15 mm range were too big and also plastic buckles. I have now ordered a lupine step in harness for over his equafleece and we have a couple of Puppia similar to the ancol one in another post which we use without his coat.

O2.0 likes this.
  6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Yeah, I like the perfect fit but it doesn't sound like it ticks all the boxes for Penny.

O2.0 likes this.
  7. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

With all the harnesses I've had over the years, with the exception of the Julius K9, I've always put the harness on underneath their coats, and made a slit in the coat so I can attach the lead to the back ring of the harness. You can over sew the slit so that it doesn't fray with a blanket stitch.

O2.0 likes this.
  8. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Good luck! I would also ask in an American area if you can, as you do have some further options over there that aren't very findable here - Cad's current harness is the second American import one I've tried for him.

I genuinely don't know of any with metal hardware though.

O2.0 likes this.
  9. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I bought a couple of collars for the Schnauzer boys that had metal clips.

I gave them to the local rescue because they were absolute p*gs to undo.

Unless of course @02.0 means metal buckles?

10. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Collars yes, big dog harnesses yes, but smol dog harnesses as the thread is about?

11. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Our car harness is a Kurgo, it might work.

Torin., O2.0 and Duggee like this.
  12. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Think you must have misunderstood me! The collars I was talking about instead of the clips being plastic were metal. By clips I mean like this .......

https://pawstastic.co.uk/products/p...7&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign

Having owned smol dogs of my own I did understand but wondered whether by "metal hardware" might mean buckles instead?

O2.0 likes this.
  13. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Sorry I worded that wrong in my OP. I didn't mean the buckles had to be metal, just the leash attachment point or anything at important stress points in the harness. I've seen a few small dog harnesses that have a plastic D ring where the leash clips on, and I thought that didn't look sturdy enough. I'm also thinking worst case scenario, a dog or coyote grabs Penny while she's on leash, I want to be able to keep a hold of her.

Yes, Kurgo are ones I'm seriously looking at, they just have a lot of bulk to my eye, I may have to see them in person - thank you. I'm thinking the car harnesses may end up being the way to go.

14. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I didn't misunderstand you. I get that you have bought collars with metal clips. I too have seen plenty collars with metal clips. But never a small harness with metal clips. Do you have a link to a small harness with metal clips?

eta - xposted
    Ahh! Now I did misunderstand that part. You should be fine finding those metal in small sizes. I've never come across D-rings as anything other than metal so it didn't even occur to me that it needed to be specified - sorry! Sometimes the back D-ring will be metal and the front one fabric though - Ruffwear popularised that and other brands have copycated.

#14 Torin., Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    O2.0 likes this.
  15. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I was talking about buckles like you get on a leather belt for example. Amd here's a Hungarian manufactured harness that fastens with metal buckles, not clips.

[​IMG]

O2.0 and Torin. like this.
  16. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

How adjustable do you need? I really liked Cad's Zero DC short up until his head broadened. Only the chest strap is adjustable, but it fits all your other points. The Kurgo one looks nice though (just googled).

Ooh! I've never seen that here. SASS make harnesses here like that with buckles, and so do some Biothane people, but their bread-and-butter are huskies/ other sled dogs/ gundogs and they don't scale down appropriately for small dogs.

O2.0 likes this.
  17. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Other than the beast panel it's not too bad, the straps are light. I suggested it because I too thought you meant metal fasteners though.

Torin. and O2.0 like this.
  18. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I did't notice with my googling it had metal clips haha! I have learnt some things :D Thank you @JoanneF and @Magyarmum

O2.0, JoanneF and Magyarmum like this.
  19. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

When I first came to Hungary harnesses were something new, and the few you could find fastened with buckles. Until I had internet and could order from the UK little Chloe wore a cat harness which I found at the local farmers market.

The harness I showed you is from a company called Vagus who only do custom made equipment for dogs and horses.. Some of their collars are beautiful and surprisingly enough they're not expensive.

http://www.vagus.hu/?fbclid=IwAR1d9oXEiX59dkLrqRr7wYTwffFsyEJFqWDKv73pPk7Ds9_nFAn63K4oafw

Torin. likes this.
  20. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I like the zero DC's and the haqihanas but they both look like UK only companies and I'd like to avoid costly shipping if I can.
    This thread is great, I think I've narrowed down to either kurgo, ruffwear, or gooby dog in that order. But keep the suggestions coming!

LinznMilly likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice