Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Smoking again!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nina, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I was watching 'Wife Swap', the other night (yea, I know saddo :D), and I saw a guy that was constantly smoking in front of his children which really appalled me :cursing:

It has now been proven that smoke from one cigarette lingers in the air for more than two hours, even with the window open!
    It reportedly contains more than 4,000 chemicals and poisons, including arsenic, ammonia, the insecticide DDT and formaldehyde.

Children of parents who smoke inhale about 60 to 150 cigarettes worth of nicotine a year, or about 1.5 cigarettes worth of nicotine each week It is also thought that up to 650 new cases of childhood asthma were caused every year by passive smoking.

With this in mind, should we treat this as child cruelty?

2. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

No!.......it would cost a fortune as every child would be entitled to sue for compensation and if you go back over the many years, that would run into millions.

Besides what about those parents that drink?? couldnt you say that drunkeness is also cruelty to children?? Alcohol is also a blight and a much worse one, smoking doesnt make people aggressive.

The Government may have banned smoking from public places but if the REALLY wanted to put an end to it they'd stop selling tobacco but they won't, the amount they'd lose in tax would be phenomenal.

My view anyway :D

suzy93074 likes this.
  3. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Excellent post!!!!!!

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I do think smoking around children should be banned.

My son is 4. My OH is not even alowed to smoke in the house! He occasionally has one in the car, but not when my son is in it.

When I lived in Glasgow, it was before the smoking ban. I used to hang out sometimes with my friends in central station. After I had my son I occasionally passed through to say hello, but I had to stop as it was so busy there was always someone smoking next to you!
    If someone lights up next to me when I have my son with me I say ''Do you mind not smoking that next to my son please'' They usually say sorry and move, sometimes I get a dirty look, to which I reply ''You might like your stinking fag, but I don't want to share it!'' Then they move away. Lol

I cannot stand people who smoke around their kids, it's disgusting. Especially when the kids can't choose to move away! I opfetn see people sitting next to their kid in the buggy, having a fag :(

x

5. kath123

kath123 Guest

What a great post!!! :):):):)

As a child that grew up with a parent that drunk and smoked i can tell you that they are both as bad, i now suffer with asthma and will suffer for the rest of my life.

And the drink killed her when she was 45 and left a 16yr old and a 20yr old to bring themselves up.:(:(:(:(

6. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Well I'm ok so far... lol.

But I think smoking has got worse as I've grown up and know it's bad.

7. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Brill post!! I dont think its right to smoke while kids are in the same room though - my OH is a heavy smoker but when we have the boyz he always smokes outside parents who do smoke in front of their kids should have more thought :)

8. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I dread to think how much cigarette smoke I have inhaled in my life because my mum and dad were both heavy smokers when we were kids. I have never smoked in my life and my o.h doesn't either so our children have been brought up in a smoke free home.:) I don't think you should smoke around children at all.

9. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

What rules you invoke within your own household is up to you, it's called 'freedom of choice' and i absolutely agree with you. I used to smoke but NEVER in my home and i dint have kids but had i had children, i would never have done it in front of them either.

10. haeveymolly

I agree with you all that say you should never smoke around children, i smoke and that is my choice it wasnt ever the choice of my children when they were young, so i never smoked around them.
    My eldest smokes and i must say felt guilty, was it because i smoke and after all ime his role model but i dont think so most teens try it and they either carry on or they dont, my other son doesnt smoke hates it and will never start so that blows my theory out of the water.

Before smoking was banned in public places i never smoked next to people that didnt smoke the hamrfull effects of passive smoking aside i just didnt think it was right anyway the small alone must be horrible for a none smoker.

I also agree that whatever the harmfull effects it has on children, adults alike could be stamped out completely, but the money the government recieve is too high for that.

11. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Oh Nina don't start me off pmsl...I'm sick of being told what to do.They say smoking when pregnant can affect the size of babies,well i smoked and all mine where big babies.Why don't people go on about how much cars pollute the air,ok so they try and bring the ommitions down but have you ever seen how much crap comes out of the back of lorries and buses?Stop people smoking and like it or not this country will be a damn sight worse of than it is already because they would loose billions in tax.:cursing:
    ps. my home my rules.:D

12. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Each to their own Jan;) I personally could not smoke whilst pregnant but I know lots of women that do.....It is all down to personal choice :)

13. haeveymolly

I think this country has a lot worse things to worry about at the moment, it was always some parents dread their kids were going to smoke now i think its way down on the list, are they going to go out and get stabbed, get knived at school, are they going to go out and take drugs, will my daughter get raped, these things were never a concern at one time now its a concern big time.

But going back to the original thread i never smoked around my children but i do think anything in moderation doesnt do any harm at all.

14. animallover111

My parents both are heavy smokers...and always smoked around both me and my brother whilst growing up......and neither of us have any health problems...though neither of us do smoke.....now i have never smoked..... and dont allow either of my children around people who are smoking....yet both my children have severe asthma.....:confused: :confused:

15. haeveymolly

I do think theres a lot of "what will be will be" i by no means say its a good idea to have children around smokers, but i do think a lot of children that have asthma is put down to parents smoking, but the ammount of children that have asthma whos parents dont smoke is very high so they must be somehing else out there that is equally as harmfull, and who knows the asthmatics who's parents do smoke would have had it anyway.

16. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

My mum smoked whilst pregnant with me.
    I was also quite a big baby.

17. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

I hate to see people smoking around children in cars, homes or wherever. I used to smoke, for 13 years (I started at 11) but I did not smoke around my son, my home and car was strictly smoke free. I gave up almost 2 years ago after my Grandma died a horrific death from lung cancer. I could not put my son through losing his Mum early due to a disgusting habit that is not a necessity but a gross addiction. He is over the moon and very proud of me for giving up.
    Anyone who thinks it's ok and does not affect their children to smoke around them or even whilst pregnant is ignorant.
    Yes, each to their own and all that. If you choose to poison your children... your choice. If you choose to ignore government warnings...your choice. If you choose to risk your own health and life...your choice.
    Years ago people's choice to smoke was a mis-informed one. The risks weren't known and it was even advised. Now however, the risks are known, the old fashioned excuses don't wash.

People give it all "humam rights, freedom of choice" blah blah. Well, you are taking those away from your own child...what makes you deserve it?

If this offends anyone or p!sses anyone off I won't apologise. It's my view...freedom of choice ;)

suzy93074 likes this.
  18. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes my mum died from empysema and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. She was a virtual prisoner in her ground floor flat, tied to an oxygen machine for two years before she died.:(

19. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Oh wow what a subject.

Um...My mum smoked around me and even though I now have asthma I don't class it as cruelty and wouldn't sue her (hah like she has any money).

I do think that parents shouldn't smoke around their children. You can't tell people what to do in their own home but they should at least go outside.

Oh and the baby size thing; I was 5lb 1oz but I was born 6 weeks early :rolleyes: :p

20. rachel57

rachel57 PetForums Junior

I smoke ! but NEVER around my kids i think 'i choose to smoke and pollute my lungs but my kids dont have to breath it in ! no way not a chance on this planet.if i want a cig then i will go outside ,close the door and make sure im not near an open window .i would never dream of smoking in front of my kids . If we are out somewhere with people who dont smoke i will stand away from them even if they say 'oh its ok ' 'erm no its not you dont smoke' .i know what its like to be a non smoker (quit the very same day i found out i was expecting ) and the stench that fills the air everytime a fag is lit up .my kids know i smoke but even if were in the garden i move away from them or just dont smoke ,if the wind is blowing in the direction of a non smoker i will go against it so it blows the other way !lol i hate to see people smoking in cars with kids:( WHY is having a fag sooo important that they cant wait till the kids are out . i also thinks banning smoking in puplic places was the best idea . i go outside in all weathers (partner is not a smoker ) come in spray myself have a chewy and wash my hands ! why do i bother even smoking lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice