Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Smokey again

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sobiH06, Jan 6, 2020.

1. sobiH06

sobiH06 PetForums Junior

hi, my 4.5 month old persian flat face kitten smokey has been having few problems. She’s had heavy snoring like breathing but not all the time. It’s mainly in the evening and night. I took her to the vet who did a thorough check from head to tail inside ears etc too and gave us an all clear but I’m still worried as she wasn’t breathing heavy when the vet saw her. Vet has asked us to make videos of when she’s breathing like that. I’ve been making videos and appointment is next week. Thing is she’s eating fine pooping fine and playing fine too. Gaining weight normally and growing up. But the breathing really scares me as I have another persian kitten same age and she’s fine. The vet listened to the heart and lungs etc and said all was fine. He doesn’t think it’s important to do more tests or put her under Anesthesia at this point. I know it’s breed related but it’s very worrisome. What if it’s something more sinister.
    Second problem is excessive ear wax. Every two days her ears get so black and waxy. The vet checked her ears thoroughly and ruled out any ear mites or infection. Is this normal as my other kittens ears are always clean. Smokey doesn’t scratch her ears or shakes head etc. I’ve bought kitten ear drops yesterday and I have to give them for 7 days. Could someone please shed some light on these two issues. Thank you as I’m losing sleep over this

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @sobiH06 - I am sorry I missed your thread earlier.

It is not unusual for some lines of flat faced Persian cats to have noisy breathing from what I have read. Especially when they are sleeping.

If your vet says your cat is OK, and there is no respiratory infection present, then I would accept that. :)

Excessive ear wax is not normal for a kitten, especially not black wax. Are Smokey's ears any better now since you gave her the course of eardrops?

3. sobiH06

sobiH06 PetForums Junior

Hi @chillminx thank you for your reply. The ear wax buildup is like ground melted coffee, it comes back every day. I’ll take a picture tomorrow. The vet saw her and checked her ears with his equipment but didn’t say anything was wrong with her. It’s been 10 days I’ve been putting three drops of Johnson’s ear drops and thn cleaning the ears every night. There’s no head shaking or head tilting even no scratching. She’s eating fine sleeping fine playing fine, just the raspy breath problem that she’s had since she was 10 weeks old. I’ve got two other cats that have no to nominal wax that needs cleaning every 3-4 weeks but smokey has this thick wax in her tiny ears that needs cleaning every single night

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Ear wax that looks like dark brown grounds of melted coffee sounds very like ear mites. You can check for ear mites in Smokey's ears yourself, all you need is a magnifying glass.

This is the method:

Check the cat’s ears for wax that looks like dark brown coffee grounds. Gently take out a chunk of the wax and put it on a dark background. Live mites look like white, moving specks about the size of a pin head (use a magnifying glass).

Over-the-counter cat ear mite treatments are available and do work if you closely follow the directions, but your vet can thoroughly flush out your cat’s ears and prescribe medications that will eliminate your cat’s ear mites with just one application. To eradicate ear mites from your home, make sure that all pets receive treatment.

Black ear wax is certainly not normal and i have never come across it in a kitten unless they are unwell. Did Smokey have this problem when she first came to live with you? If not when did it develop? Have you spoken to the breeder about it? If so has she/he given you any advice?

Did the vet not clean out Smokey's ears or give you any medicine for her?

5. sobiH06

sobiH06 PetForums Junior

Thnk you for the reply, literally last week the vet saw her eyes and said this is just wax and he couldn’t see anything under the microscope. The vet was a bit distracted though as before us he saw a dog that had cancer and had to be put down the same day. He rushed a lot. I’m thinking about taking her back as my gut instinct is that she’s not well and it’s not just wax. She probably had this problem when we got her, I don’t remember checking her for a good 2 weeks. The other cats don’t seem to have any ear wax so if it was mites they would have it too as they sleep together and are always together. I don’t know I’m very confused

6. sobiH06

sobiH06 PetForums Junior

Also I’m going to get a magnifying glass and try to check it myself. Such a shame as I threw a magnifying glass away just yesterday as kids stopped playing with it

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Ear mites is the thing that comes to mind from your description. . But if the vet looked at some of the wax and couldn't see any mites with a microscope then it probably isn't ear mites. (Note - it is best if you take some of the wax out of both ears and inspect it as I described above)

If it is not mites then it could be a fungal infection maybe.. Do her ears have a strange or unpleasant odour to them if you sniff them inside the ear lobes?

I would have asked the breeder what it could be, as she may have had other kittens or cats with the same ear problem. Are you still in touch with the breeder?

I would see another vet for a second opinion if your current vet can't help you clear up the wax problem. I sympathise, it must be very frustrating.

8. sobiH06

sobiH06 PetForums Junior

It’s been only 10 hours and the wax has come back. It’s like this but towards the night it spreads to all over

Attached Files:

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I would say the treatment is not working well. If it were me I would take her back to the vet - or take her to another vet, if you think the first vet won't help Smokey.

You can keep the ear lobe clean by gently using a little pure virgin olive oil dabbed on a piece of cotton wool. Do not go in or near the ear canal itself though. Use only pure cold-pressed olive oil as it is slightly anti-bacterial and is safe for cats. Although it is unlikely to get to the cause of the ear wax, it will at least keep the ears clean and reduce the risk of an infection. And tbh I would rather use this than the chemicals that are in ear drops.

10. sobiH06

sobiH06 PetForums Junior

Ok thank you, I’ll take her to my old vets, they were money hungry but more helpful

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice