Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Smoke kittens?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Laurenjayneturnbull, Dec 25, 2018.

1. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

I wasnt saying they do resemble silver kittens. I have never had silver cats so i wouldnt really know. But i had ppl constantly ask me if they were smokes when i posted pictures

They look very silvered. Very similar to what fever coat looks like, again not fc. Just something interesting within that breeding line.

2. Laurenjayneturnbull

Laurenjayneturnbull PetForums Junior

This is really interesting to see as I've seen some black cats with minor ghost markings but not like this and amazing how it changed too.

3. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Classic based tabby ghosting is always more noticeable than mackerel.

4. Laurenjayneturnbull

The little black one in this litter has more classic type ghosting but only the legs and tail mainly although she even has the face markings which was the reason I didn't think it was fever coat.

5. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Laurenjayneturnbull likes this.
  6. Laurenjayneturnbull

@Summercat I will definitely be posting more pics as they get older. :)

Summercat likes this.
  7. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

That's what I mean, they don't look anything like smokes

8. Laurenjayneturnbull

Kittens are 5 weeks old today.:)

Attached Files:

9. Rufus15

Do you have pics of parents? I think we could do with more pics of dad particularly, different parts of the undercoat so head, back, tummy, legs, seeing mum would be helpful too, as currently although they may look somewhat smoke we don't know if it's actually possible from the parents

10. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Senior

286EA3FE-F1D6-4F05-B3F0-F0C403C19224.jpeg 4ED63006-3233-4AB2-BEAE-9E8ED2A0379A.jpeg 965BF6E4-7623-4723-9732-6A5DAA5AFE42.jpeg
    You get frosting in Norwegians, the kittens are born with a normal coat colour e.g black but as they get older they develop a silver appearances to the coat, it is not always the whole coat that seems to be affected. It seems to run in lines. Sheep and Loki were both frosted (uncle and niece) and are part of the university of Bern’s study in to it. http://www.genetics.unibe.ch/research/cat/frosted_kitten/index_eng.html

Here is Loki at 5 weeks old and not frosted, by 13 weeks old he had his belted Galloway appearance (I can’t find a photo of him at that age at the moment) then at 4 months old showing the distinct frosting. Now apart from being a sunshine black, the frosting is normal and he has a fantastic coat quality.

11. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

They have grown so much! The black kitten has exactly the same coat colour quality as the black kittens bred by myself and a friend. I don't quite understand how we are saying this black kitten could well be a smoke and yet the BSH kittens look "nothing like smokes"

12. Laurenjayneturnbull

This is dad, do not have many pictures on this phone.

Attached Files:

13. Laurenjayneturnbull

I have never had a kitten have this coat colour it does look similar to your previous kittens I agree. When did your kittens begin to look their final colour?

14. Laurenjayneturnbull

Few updated pictures! The 2 greys haven't started to eat yet but the little black girl has been seen eating now and then!

Attached Files:

oliviarussian likes this.
  15. Rufus15

I think the blues are now looking more solid, which would fit with the possible fevercoat, but the jury is still out on the black for me

16. Laurenjayneturnbull

Yes the blues appear solid although both look different still and the black is still not any easier to say what colour she is!

Attached Files:

17. Alice D

Alice D PetForums Newbie

Hello I know nothing about cat breeding! We had a Siberian Forest black smoke cat ( ex stud and retired) His fur was beautiful when you parted it it was pure white underneath In fact in my opinion he was the most beautiful cat I've ever seen! I know everyone say that! We've recently had to have him put to sleep so we miss him terribly!
    We are catless now!

Laurenjayneturnbull likes this.
  18. Rufus15

Sorry to hear about your loss. A house is not a home without a cat :( I've never seen a black smoke Sibby, he sounds lovely

19. Laurenjayneturnbull

@Rufus15 kittens are now nearly 7 weeks and I'm still none the wiser on her colour! Can black kittens just turn white? The kittens are all doing well!

Attached Files:

20. Rufus15

We really need to see her back with her coat parted. Blacks are always lighter on the tummy, in semi longhair at least, as adolescents.

Get a comb and brush a parting down her back, and get pics in daylight please :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice