Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Smilla

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by hobbs2004, Feb 3, 2012.

1. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Those of you who feed it, have you noticed that the poultry tins in particular (the fish ones have taken a knock down too I believe, apart from the just tuna variety) now contain 1/3 less meat and by-products. Used to be min of 60% declared meat and by-products; now it is only 40%. I presume the price has remained the same though.

Unless of course, they now only declare their flavour meats but that then would beg the question what other meats are now included that previously weren't. So, my hunch is that they have reduced the overall meat content and just kept the price the same.

How poor! What a cheapo food it has become imo.

Cleo38 likes this.
  2. Cats cats cats

Cats cats cats PetForums VIP

My cats don't like the Smilla at all :( I guess this may be why , i had not noticed the ingredient change . I won't be buying it again as far too much ends up in the bin :mad2:

3. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

Bugger! I've just ordered 48 cans of it from Zooplus :mad2:

4. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Bugger indeed I've just received 48 tins as well!

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Curiously enough, their macroanalyses have remained the same; so god knows what is going on. Have a look at the ingredient lists when you get the tins and if you still have some old stock go and compare them.

6. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

'New improved recipe!' they say.. Hmm! :rolleyes:

7. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

The sods! Its gone up to nearly 50% broth. I don't want broth, I want meat damnit!
    I was doing ok with the fish pots since the cats refused to eat bozita or carny tins. :mad:

8. lulubel

lulubel PetForums Senior

Thanks for the heads up on this. Ours haven't had Smilla very often because it's far from being one of their favourites. I certainly won't bother ordering any more now.

9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I had a few tims with my last order from Zooplus but tbh I hadn't looked at the ingredients lately - will teach me to check from now on though.

I won't bother buying that anymore now - thanks for the notification though!

10. Misi

Misi PetForums VIP

Oh bum, titty bum! I just told my sister to buy some. Finally managed to persuade her off Applaws and Almo. What a pain.

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Good on you hun! Good effort; probably an almost herculean effort. TBH, it is still better than the complementary stuff and once her cat eats pate, then the world is her oyster!

12. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

:thumbup: Thanks for posting Hobbs, I was going to get extra in my next Zooplus order as the boys love it. I'll have to try them with someting else.

13. Laurac

Laurac PetForums VIP

Hobbs - what is the ultimate combo of food that we should be buying then. Does macs, Grau and petnatur sound ok?

14. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

It's still an improvement on some other foods though. I see no problem in including it in rotation with others

15. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

Oh bums - it;s their favourite as well! And a load has just arrived. Fingers crossed they like the Grau and Bozita pate samples I ordered as well so I can replace the Smilla with those instead!

16. anotheruser

anotheruser PetForums Senior

Tut.
    I just purchased a few tins of this. We'll give it a go though. I have bought many different ones in the past couple of weeks so will give them all a try and write up my thoughts.

Although I am sure the Botiza pate ones say meat minimum 4% :S

17. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

mine must still be old stock says its 60%min however it doesnt smell nice after a day and boys arent loving it. plus my last order of animonda isnt great so unless they take to grain free grau im going to have to go with ordering from germany. why are there no distributors of macs etc in the uk :(

18. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

Damn it, I was just starting to add in some smilla fish pots to the bozita. She won't eat animonda carny and floyds is way too expensive to order off to Ireland. :( Might try the grau grain free, bit expensive though if she won't eat it. What is the consistency of it like? She prefers mushier more liquidy foods.

19. Heybunny

Heybunny PetForums Member

Aw no! :( My two (And me as well as it smells so good :D) love the sardine fish pots. Mine state there's "52% fish" on the cans, ordered in December.

If I'm reading this right Hobbs, does that mean that the sardine ones have taken a hit but the tuna only flavour hasn't? If so I'll just order that and add tinned sardines to it. I keep meaning to order some non-Zooplus stuff anyway, like Tigercat and MACs, but the sardine Smilla is such a lovely smelling food! :eek:

20. spid

spid PetForums VIP

That's the minimum amount of flavour meat that they use - i.e. 4% reindeer - the other 93% or so is a different meat.

#20 spid, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice