Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Smelly sofa help!!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by slavetorobbie, Jan 23, 2012.

1. slavetorobbie

slavetorobbie PetForums Member

Please oh please tell me how to get cat wee smells out of my sofa!! It's only a year old and is a brightly coloured fabric sofa so I'm worried about what I can and can't use on it. The smell is driving me mad.

2. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

get it professionally cleaned they will have powders that will take smell out, have you found out the cause of your cat doing it?

3. Superash

Superash PetForums VIP

. Zoflora disinfectant is very good , it got rid of the cat wee smell in my daughters bedroom the floral ones smell really nice not like disinfectant at all:D

4. slavetorobbie

The only problem with that is that it will happen again - She's just a very old girl. She's recently been checked out by the vet who was pleased with her health but said I should expect deterioration soon. I will take her back to the vet this week.

5. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

well if its going to keep happening i cant really help you much more.

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Simple Solution spray works wonders - and it's not that expensive so is able to be used again and again; we used it on our bright red sofa after a calling queen decided to spray. It doesn't smell any more.

7. slavetorobbie

Thanks, I'll give this a go. I am looking for a waterproof cover to stop it from happening any more, but the silly girl pretty much never leaves the sofa so I'd feel bad taking her away from it at her age.

8. bordie

bordie PetForums VIP

dont let the cats p.ss on it:nonod::confused:

9. slavetorobbie

Well I didn't know that she was because I see her using her litter tray on a daily basis, but thanks so much for this advice.

10. slavetorobbie

I'm just concerned about it discolouring the sofa? I will have a look into it though, thank you.

11. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Most disinfectants gets rid of the smell to human noses but not to cats so will encourage her to go there again.

@bordie - I think old cats leak a bit and they don't even realise when they are doing it.

12. bordie

bordie PetForums VIP

well keep it of the sofa if it leaks:confused:

13. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

You could try putting human incontenance pads down as a temporary measure while you search for a cover. They're soft for her to lie on, can be taken up when you have guests, are cheap, disposable and very absorbent.

14. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Do a small spot test on the underneath of the cushions or somewhere like the back/sides if they are up against a wall or something to check for colour fastness good luck. In the mean time what about getting some puppy training pads to put on top of the cushion that she most likes to sleep on and put a blanket over the top. It will absorb the wee and stop it leaking into your sofa HTH xxx

15. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Cross posted lol

16. slavetorobbie

That's the obvious solution but she's over 20 years old and there's nowhere else she is comfy sleeping. I have bought her countless beds and blankets but she will only sleep there. It's not ideal, trust me, but I'm not locking an elderly cat out of the only room she's comfy and happy in.

Incontinence pads sound like a good idea, thanks for that!

17. slavetorobbie

Fab idea about the pads, didn't even think about that! Thank you :)

18. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Much as these seem to be slightly tongue in cheek they aren't actually very helpful. It isn't always easy or wanted to stop the animal sleeping where it does.

19. amyrj16

amyrj16 PetForums Member

Not sure if this will work for you or not, but i use a drop of comfort fabric conditioner with water in a spray bottle and spray it on, acts as a kind of febreeze sort of thing. I use it on my settee but i have a leather so unsure if it will be ok for you to use or not?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice