Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Smelly Puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by maudeyuk, Mar 30, 2011.

1. maudeyuk

maudeyuk PetForums Newbie

Hi anyone, we have had our border x lakeland puppy for a couple of months now and i have also found out i am pregnant, which is making the lovely "puppy smell" 3million times worse along with the constant nausea. Has anyone any suggestions of how i can stop the smell or i will have to have a permanent peg on my nose.?
    Can i use baby shampoo?
    :001_smile::cryin:

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Yes, baby shampoo is fine, but don't bathe him too often as it'll make the smell worse. Bathing strips the natural oils from the dogs coat, which is what they self clean with.

To be honest, dogs shouldn't generally smell though.

What are you feeding your pup? Diet could be the cause.

3. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Do you mean your puppy smells as in his skin, or his....umm....wind?

Either way diet could be the problem.

As SixStar says, bathing your puppy is fine, but you shouldn't do it too often. Their coats and skin need their natural oils.

4. maudeyuk

he is on hills puppy food 100g a day. we did have him on tesco puppy but his deposits where bright green and really sloppy. as i am witing this he is sat at the side of me and i just want to heave. i hope it is just me and my current situation:eek:
    Thanks for getting back to me this is my first puppy dog (bracken) and he is already a big part of our family, my daughter,5, just wont leave him alone but he loves it.

5. maudeyuk

How often should i bathe him cos he was last in the bath on friday last.?

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Well, I bath my dogs once or twice a year! :D

I'd say anymore than monthly was too often, IMO.

7. maudeyuk

Oh my word, i think i will have to move out, cant stand him being near me at the mo:(

Poor little man

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

You can get doggy deoderant :)
    Hopefully you wont find the smell so bad once baby comes along :)

9. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Have you checked his ears and glands? Infected ears or full anal glands can give off a foul smell.

10. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

T-Bo is three months old now and he smell like a puppy, not nasty in any way. Is it just you who doesn't like his smell because you are early pregnant or does anyone else find it offensive? During the first few months of pregnancy the least little thing can make you feel nauseas as you probably know. ;)

11. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

If it's not the food causing foul wind then I was going to say check your puppy's ears. Poppy had the most gunky foul smelling ears when she came to us but they're fine now.

Also Neem Puppy Shampoo smells delicious (scroll to about half way down), I take my own when Poppy is groomed and the groomer loves it, has even borrowed it for her own dogs! Lovely smell lasts for a few days too.

My groomer advises not to bathe between grooms (currently ours are 4-6 weeks apart) as it strips the natural oils from the coat, daily brushing is all that is needed. If I didn't take her to the groomers for cutting then I wouldn't bathe more than once a month.

Hopefully as your pregnancy progresses it will get better for you. It must be awful. My d-i-l couldn't even look at an egg, let alone eat one, without chucking up!

12. Bijou

Bijou PetForums VIP

Crown'nGlory do a grooming spray range which smells just gorgeous - order it direct from Dezynadog DeZynaDog: The One Stop Shop for Groomers just dilute some down in a spray bottle and spray some on in the morning rub it well in and he'll smell wonderful all day !

13. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Charlie used to be on hills puppy food and I have to say he had very smelly wind - SBDs :)

Unless your dog has rolled in something horrible on a walk, they shouldn't need bathing more than a couple of times a year. It's really not good for their skin or coat.

As others have said, check your dogs ears are clean (otherwise they get smelly) and teeth (to avoid doggy breath).

Otherwise there really shouldn't be any reason for your dog to smell bad all the time and you should really go and ask the vet to give your dog a checkover.

14. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

Is it Magic Mist Concentrate or Body Beautiful you would recommend?! (Just making a note for future reference :))

15. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

seeing as nobody has mentioned it, I thought I would. Have you wormed him ?

May sound like a silly question but puppies need to be wormed regularly, as you've had him a couple of months then I'm going to hazard a guess at him being roughly 4-5 months old ? He should be wormed monthly until 6 months old and then every other month until a year old, quarterly after that. If a dog has worms then his breath will smell and he could have really nasty stinky wind :eek:

Shop wormers are pretty useless, I recommend getting a Milbemax pill from the vet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice