Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Smelly Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Margret, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Margret

Margret PetForums Newbie

My daughters 5 year old cocker spaniel has started to smell. At first we thought she had rolled in Faeces, had numerous baths, still smelly. Took her to vet last week and she emptied anal glands, but even still she still smells of faeces. Have even resorted to just washing her bottom every time she does toilet, but no further forward. Has anyone any ideas as to cause. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. smskar

smskar PetForums Member

Hi

I am sorry to hear about your dog.

I take it the vet examined ears and mouth?

Is there a particular area of its body the smell is coming from ie the belly?

3. Margret

Margret PetForums Newbie

I would say probably its bottom, but at first it just smelt like her coat was wet due to the rain and was drying, but she was bathed almost everyday, and still the smell lingered.
    That was the reason we thought about anal glands, but its not a fishy smell, more like faeces.
    Its quite baffling, and my daughter is becoming quite obsessed that the house will be smelling as well.

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Is there any possiblilty that your dog eats poo?
    What are you feeding your dog,and has there been a recent food change at all?

5. smskar

smskar PetForums Member

I wouldn't be bathing her so often as this can strip the natural oils in her coat, she may then be producing too much oil to compensate causing her to smell.

It may be best to take her back to the vet since emptying her anal sacks hasn't helped.

Has this been going on for a while?

Clare7435 likes this.
  6. tosca

tosca PetForums Member

Have you changed her food at all? Some food can make dogs smell. We tried changing from a well known rather expensive international brand to a locally made hypo-allergenic no-nasties brand and both dogs started to smell doggy and were windy with smelly soft poo. Have changed back to what I know suits them and within a couple of days on half new and half old they were less windy, less pooey and less doggy!

Just a thought.

7. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

This post hits the nail on the head, it's possible that something that was poss just an anal gland prob is now the too much oil producing prob with the amount of times the pooch is having a bath. I would deff take her back to the vet just in case it's a different problem but I would also stop bathing so frequently, even if you have stopped the daily bath it will still take a while for the dogs natural oils production to regulate again
    Clare xx

8. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Has he always been bathed a lot before this smelly stage, as i have to agree with everyone that says bathing can make a dog more smelly, i bath mine about 3 times a year, other than the odd sponge down if they have rolled in anything, which one of them tends to do a lot of, or a rinse of their underneath when they come home muddy.

9. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

yep, as odd as it sounds, bathing a dog too often will make it smelly

10. Margret

Margret PetForums Newbie

Thanks to everyone who has answered, really appreciate. Have told son-in-law to stop bathing her everytime he thinks she is smelly. He says it is like she is still leaking a bit from glands...when wiped, tissue has staining and fur is wet. She hasn't had a change of food, still dried food, so will monitor her over next couple days...if no improvement, guess it is back to vet. Otherwise, she is ok.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice