Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Smelly Dog Claw

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Patterdale3, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Patterdale3

Patterdale3 PetForums Newbie

We noticed that our dog's paw was smelling really foul and upon taking a closer look, we noticed that one of the claws was hollow. In there was a piece of something (the quick?) which came out easily and smelt really bad. It was creamish in colour. Then the inside of the claw began to bleed slightly. We cleaned it up but the smell is still quite bad. Any advice as to what it is? We've cut her claw slightly but it's still quite hollow.

Thank you.

P.S. We're first time users to this website

2. jilly40

jilly40 PetForums VIP

hi there n welcome :) sounds like an infection ? but im not a vet sorry,i would however take your pooch to the vet hun better to be safe than sorry.let us know how you get on :D xx

3. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

yeah sound like she has an infection..probably needs some antibiotics i would have thought...welcome to the forum by the way

juliex

4. rona

rona Guest

Welcome to the forum.
    A trip to the vet tomorrow I think is the best course of action.
    You could clean it a little tonight by soaking it in salted water

5. Patterdale3

She's on antibiotics at the moment anyway as she's just recovering from what was thought to be an infected nail bed/grass seed infection. We're due to return to the vets tomorrow for a check up so I'll ask about the hollow claw smell then but thank you for your advice!

Goodnight x

6. Patterdale3

Also been soaking on salt water too...I guess I'm just an inpatient mum!

7. jilly40

jilly40 PetForums VIP

aww poor thing hope you get to the bottom of it.please let us know what happens as its always good to know 4 another time :D xxxx

8. Patterdale3

and thanks for the warm welcome to the Forum xXx

9. Patterdale3

I will do as I've been trawling the internet for lots of answers on this topic so I'll make sure I do and hopefully all this 'bother' will help another pet owner in need of some answers!

Thanks everyone whose replied to my question, I really appreciate the help!

10. Patterdale3

Well, nothing out of the unusual to report back. The vet said the smelly claw was nothing to worry about, in fact she said I shouldn't of cut it (even though it was hollow, brittle and full of gunk!).

Going back next week for the final check-up after all the antibiotics have been taken. The wounds healing up nicely though they said I still shouldn't walk her until the 10 days are up. The stitches will take a while to fall out too.

Poor dog, she's desperate for a walk and hates to see the other two being taken out without her.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar query!

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Thats good news.

Nail bed infections can be a nightmare. One of mine had them repeatedly :(

12. Patterdale3

Can I ask... was it seasonal? ...what breed of dog do you have? ...does it usually affect the same foot, claw? ...how did you prevent them reoccurring? ...does your dog tend to chew her/his foot too?

Sorry for all the questions, it'd just be nice to hear from someone whose experienced the same problem.

Thanks!!

13. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Mine isnt a usual case. He's a Staffie, and had a badly injured leg when i rescued him as a pup. Over 8 years he snapped his nailed repeatedly because of how he walked and ran. One time he started chewing off a toe and it had to be amputated. I spent a fortune on dressings and antibiotics. He would always concentrate on one nail, and ended up chewing it off multiple time.

He eventually had his leg ampuated, but like i said, hes a special case :)

If your dog chews a particular nail, it may be worth having the foot x-rayed, see if there are any breaks. Oscars chewing was related to pain, as he had multiple fractures :(

Keeping the nails as short as possible is the best way to prevent injury. Nail injuries are really common.

14. Patterdale3

Wow that really was a 'special' case. I hope he's coping alright now? We'll keep an eye on things and she how she goes over the next month or so. We were told that if we give her cod liver oil and evening primrose tablets (every other day because she's small), they should help to improve her skin but it'll take at least a month for any sign of improvement to occur. She has either an allergy to grass or dermertitus. We've been giving her piriton on and off for a few months now and that has slightly helped. I've also been told to try nappy rash cream like sudocream.

Again, I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help!

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sudocrem is great stuff!

He's fine now, thanks for asking. He's actually been much happier since his leg was removed.

16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I had one that frequently had nail bed infections. Her nails were very brittle and would snap off flush with the toe usually with no ill effects but every so often she would get an infection and become ill with a temperature. Finally she got one that wouldnt heal and broke out in a sore so the vet amputated a digit but unfortunately it turned out to be bone cancer. I have no idea if the constant nail bed infections had anything to do with it though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice