Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Smelly cut

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by QueenofRandom, May 14, 2017.

1. QueenofRandom

QueenofRandom PetForums Newbie

So my boy is currently on antibiotics for this cut and it was doing ok, definitely not as smelly then he bathed it himself and it's like it dislodged it and stinky again. He's very loving and likes to sit with me as I eat and his stink is a bit off putting. Any way to help with that as it heals?

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I would ring the vets tomorrow and bath it with warm slightly salty water for now. To smell that bad sounds like a nasty infection is present

3. QueenofRandom

Yeah I was gunna give them a call. I'll try the warm water as well in the mean time. It's not overly unpleasant, just when he's right next to you it notices. And he likes to be right next to you lol.

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

This ^^^^^^^^^

moggie14 likes this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If it is smelly since he dislodged the scab then there may have been infection trapped under the scab. Wounds that are deeper than surface wounds, or are puncture wounds (e.g. from cat bites) need to heal from the bottom up, not from the top down. A wound scabbing over too early stops the infected tissue lower down healing properly.

Definitely speak to the vet tomorrow and arrange an appointment for your cat.

buffie and Babyshoes like this.
  6. QueenofRandom

Yeah that's what I'm concerned about as well. He's going back today, he won't speak to me tonight I'm sure lol.

7. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

Let us know how the vet's visit goes. My boy had an infected wound, which the vet easily drained and cleaned, so this might be an option if there's any puss lurking underneath. If not, I'm sure they'll be able to advise and might given some more ABs.

8. QueenofRandom

They sent some swabs off for testing. The antibiotics haven't really touched it, the vet got a shock when she stuck her nose in for a whiff. It's not really weeping or draining, but she says there may be a cystic growth as well but hard to tell. Just got to wait for results and go from there. So still a stinky cat. At least he's eating and going to the loo like normal and wanting lots of attention.

9. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

I'm glad you got it checked out!

Stinky cat is better than obviously ill cat! At least it will give you time to find out what is causing the infection and the best antibiotics to treat it....

10. QueenofRandom

Getting better. The results were it should have helped, but on stronger antibiotics and prednisone for a week. The cut isn't as stinky. Just got to help clean himself up a bit now, keep brushing him etc as he's still a bit straggly and like BO stinky from being under the bath. They did say he wasn't great at bathing himself lol

11. QueenofRandom

So, the saga continues. The cut seemed to heal well, the smell went, all was looking great until a few days ago... The smell was back and the cut open a bit. Back to the vet we went (new vet now) and he's got ear drops and I have to clean the ear. So the drops went ok, he didn't talk to me for a bit but he came onto my lap eventually. I then tried to clean his ear but as soon as I went near his head he bolted.

Any tips for this? He's a big boy and very strong! I can't hold him to get him, and I'm alone so can't ask for help

12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If the cut is inside his ear I can tell you from experience it can be hard to get it to heal. You need do clean it every day without fail or you are unlikely to clear it up. If you can't manage on your own, do you have a friendly cat owning neighbour who might help by holding him?

Or you could join the local private social media site in your area, called "Next Door" and ask for someone to come and help you. I have met some really kind helpful people on there.

https://nextdoor.co.uk/

If you don't want to do that then I can only suggest you take your cat into the vet every day and get a vet nurse to help you. It won't cost a lot if you don't see a vet. Or ask a vet nurse to come out and help you every day - but that is bound to cost more than you taking your cat in.

EDIT: if you have a top-opening cat carrier you could put him in that with the lid open to keep him in one place, and then try and bathe his ear. But I still think you may need someone to hold his head steady. Some cats hate anyone touching their ears, even more so if it is sore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice