UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
22,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Each time I go into the Town because I need to visit the hardware store there I always try to take Oscar with me when I can.

When we arrive we immediately go for a wander through the shopping areas. I think it's good PR for Ozzy to be seen in public especially in view of his size, appearance and rumours.
It's also good for those who don't listen to gossip and show an inkling of interest in him.
Usually folks just glare in silence and steer a wide birth by us.

But they really needn't bother because as we approach people I normally tell Oscar 'No noses' and he understands perfectly well that he's meant to mind his own business.

As we walked across the Car Park by the Chemist, two boys aged around 9 or 10 excitedly ran over shouting 'Pikku Karhu!' 'Pikku Karhu!' (Little Bear. Little Bear.)

Oscar stopped dead in his tracks to eye the fast approaching children and before the kids got any closer I told them they must not run up to a Dog especially if that Dog doesn't know them and they are strangers to him.

Why? Because they were asking to be bitten or, worse still, eaten alive particularly if the Dog was as BIG as Oscar.

The children did stop and giggled at what I had just told them.

'You're Dog won't eat us' they replied.

'He might' I told them. 'I haven't given him his breakfast today.'

Again the children laughed.

I asked the kids if they wanted to stroke Oscar who was, by now, quite curious about the little people who were standing about ten feet away.

They both nodded their heads and replied they would.

'You must stand perfectly still and let him smell you first' I told them.

'You have had a wash this morning haven't you?' The kids giggled again.

I then said, 'Now stand still and let him see if you've used any soap today'

On a shorter leash I walked Oscar slowly over and he began sniffing round the pair intently, eventually poking his big nose into the faces of one of them.

'You haven't brushed your teeth this morning' I told him.

The little lad gave a quick glance to his mate and I could see by the look on his face he realised he'd been found out. :)

I always carry a pocket full of Frolic when I'm out. They come in very handy as treats when I need to get his attention focused back on me.

He's just an old Frolicaholic at heart.

I gave each of the kids a small handful and told them if they asked him very nicely to sit and Oscar did as they asked, then they could give him the treats in turn.

As a reward they could stroke him gently but must not pat his head.

Everything was going really well until out of the corner of my eye I saw a woman walking quite briskly towards us and she appeared to have a very displeased look on her face.:angry:

Approximately 30 feet away she began shouting something fairly incoherent and as the two boys instantly looked round Oscar also became alarmed by her disturbance and began barking very loudly in her direction.

The woman stopped and shrieked for the youngsters to come away and they did exactly as they were told without questioning their mother.

I overheard her tell them 'See how dangerous that Dog is. It will kill you with just one bite'

This angered me greatly because up until the moment she showed up shouting her big ignorant mouth off, the kids were actually having a great deal of fun.

A little further up the road a car sped passed and through the back window I could just make out the two little lads waving back at us.
Obviously no seat belts I thought.

'Dangerous driver. She will kill them with just one mistake'

Folks eh? Why can't they be as recpetive as their children? :(

·
Team Ginger!
10,710 Posts
Crazy isnt it! Oscar sounds like he behaved like a star!

I had similar with mine when two small boys approached and asked me if he was a british bulldog, um no he's a staff x, my mum says those dogs will kill ya, does he look like he wants to kill ya (dex is all waggy tailed and smiling- kids are clutching chips!)- So both boys came over and stroked dex and he even got a chip (was close to helping himself at one point).

Then i got - he's well nice mrs, we'll say hello again if we see ya- luckily no adults who read the daily fail to ruin it for them!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
:mad: :incazzato:
I was on the country park with Abi and Daisy one day and a little girl (about 3-4) asked if she could stroke my dog. I was pleased she had asked and said yes as she approached Daisy (who is pretty bombproof) at this moment Abi ran up and the little girl switched her attention to Abi and ...attempted to pick her up by the front legs! At which Abi squealed and bit her then ran off. I quickly checked whether any damage had been done (no) and told the little girl she couldn't pick up strange dogs and never by the legs. She said ok and asked if she could stroke 'that one' (Daisy).
I said 'yes but you can't pick her up.' She then went to pick Daisy up!
I said 'I said no picking up!'
To which she replied 'Why?'
I said 'because you are too little!' so she contented herself with patting D on the head.
During this whole interchange I didn't see any parents at all. I don't know whether that was a good or bad thing. I was half expecting some irate parent to catch up with me at some point complaining that their child had been bitten!

·
Banned
22,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crazy isnt it! Oscar sounds like he behaved like a star!
Oscar's excellent for his breed to be honest and I have little concern regarding his sociability.

However, there is still an area in his life that he's not all that comfortable with.
Old folks seem to be a bit of a puzzle to him but mainly because of the way in which they move around.
They make him nervous and those who walk with a stoop and a stick make him very nervous.
After his initial bark at them he just wants to be as far away from them as possible.:eek:

We meet very few Old folks so I doubt his uncertainty of them will be cured any time soon. :rolleyes:

Obviously the Mother in Law is fine and he makes quite a convenient foot pouffe for her during his stay at her house. :)

so she contented herself with patting D on the head.
I know it was only a little girl, but it really does annoy me if people try to pat either Zara or Oscar on the head.

I just don't understand why they think it's a friendly gesture. :confused:

Of course the other strange sign of affection some folks seem to bestow upon Dogs is grabbing hold of their skulls and shaking their brains up. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I know it was only a little girl, but it really does annoy me if people try to pat either Zara or Oscar on the head.

I just don't understand why they think it's a friendly gesture. :confused:

Of course the other strange sign of affection some folks seem to bestow upon Dogs is grabbing hold of their skulls and shaking their brains up. :thumbdown:
Tbh 'pat' was a bit of a euphemism - but it was a step in the right direction!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.