Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Smear tests

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sarybeagle, Apr 3, 2011.

1. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

I know this isn't really the right section but I want everyone to read this.

A year ago today a very special friend fell asleep for the last time.

Cruelly taken from her new husband and little boy at the very young age of 26.

Robbed of her life, robbed of seeing her son grow up, robbed of a chance.
    She died from cervical cancer.

Please to all my friends who are ladies or have partners, get a smear done if you're due. Don't die from embarrassment.

Sleep tight Ally &#9829; xxxx miss u so much <3 :(

[​IMG]

#1 sarybeagle, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. My mother never had one in her entire life and she died at 72 - not old by a long chalk altough compared to your friends premature death it is!
    Go for that smear girls, ladies, old woman! (until you are 65 I think)
    It could save your life!

DT

3. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Better 5 mins of embarassment than the regret of leaving it too late :(

4. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

My friend was deemed too young even though she had a lot of symptoms and a 4 year old at the time.

Smear was done just after her wedding, she never lived to see her first anniversary :( it spread to her brain within months and took her a fortnight after being told she had 12 months.

I made a v emotional 14 hour journey today to see her and just can't believe it still

5. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I really hate reading stuff like this because it really scares me. I'm turning 23 this august and suffer from PCOS which carries an increased risk of some cancers. I have 2 periods a year if I'm lucky, which again increases the risks. I've ignored every letter I've had saying I'm due and I really need to get myself sorted but being a very big person I would be humiliated :( Guess there's nothing for it though, I've had pains for the last year and a half and I'm hoping to start trying for kids after my wedding so this thread has really driven in the point. Thank you.

6. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

Can I just add to what others have said. Please get this test done, it only takes a few minuites out of your day and could save your life.
    The doctors and/or nurses are all true profesionals and will do all they can to make you feel at ease.
    Please don't leave it to chance, go and get tested.

7. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

Just pretend that they are talking to your vajayjay and not you and think up answers it might give.

8. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

:eek: I'm both distressed and amused at the same time. I think I might explode.

9. bulldog200

bulldog200 PetForums VIP

I am petrified to go for one already had bad experiances with docs judt dont trust anyone enough, i knw i need one especilly with all the probs i been having but my fear is too great

10. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Please please get 1 done. My friend was never allowed one as under 25 and then it was too late.

I know this thread can upset people but I won't apologise for talking about how important smears are. I would hate to see anyone lose their friend, sister, cousin etc the way we lost Ally.

11. shells

shells PetForums VIP

totaly agree with this it needs to be done , iv had lazer treatment 3 times and biopsis etc done because of this i was 26 needing my first treatment hardly old is it. so come girls get it done as your worth it.

12. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Iv had abnormal results from my first one, and again the second i had 6 months later.... the third is due in 2 months, does anyone know if they do anything if abnormal results keep recurring?

(I had mine late too, just kept putting it off.. even knowing my mum had problems and cancer runs both sides of the family - but its really not as bad as you imagine...unpleasant yes but not awful)

13. bulldog200

bulldog200 PetForums VIP

No this thread doesnt upset me ,not at all ,i am glad you wrote it ,but how do i trust people to do that when everyone who i have trusted including some docs have abused me ,fear stands in the way ,but i am so glad you did the post ,
    i just have a lot of fears to overcome and when your trust is betrayed in very bad ways even with someone who supposed to make you better ,but no they make you worse thru what they did to you, ah sorry i rambling on now ,doctors are people you should be able to trust right ?
    but in my life they are just the same as the other people that hurt me :(:(
    i want to be able to have it done but i just dont want anyone else to repeat whats already been done to me :(

Damn i have upset myself now , why do i have to be such a wimp when everyone else seems so strong :(

#13 bulldog200, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  14. Amy-manycats

Amy-manycats PetForums Senior

Please do get them done, I am 25 (so not a seasonned pro) and was really nervous and embarressed about my 1st one. I didn't want to go and was putting it off. To make it worse when I got there there were 2 doctors doing it not one nusre like I expected :blush:,

BUT they were lovely and it wasn't uncomfortable or embarrassing. As they said they have seen it all before, there was no pain and no lectures about being to fat (I always get lectures when I go to the doctors, even if I sneeze its because I am too fat apparently.) They really do do their best to put you at ease. Please don't put it off because you are worried, it is really quick and I bet they were just as embarressed as you are when they had their first one and when they had to perform their first one.

15. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

As has been said already please all ladies get one done
    Today is Mothers Day and its only because i had the test and got the treatment that i am alive today to see my children as adults and see my grandchildren growing up.

16. bulldog200

bulldog200 PetForums VIP

Its not the ebarrasment thats stopping me :(:( i really wish it was,that would be okay then

17. HelloKittyHannah

HelloKittyHannah PetForums VIP

I thought you automatically qualified for a smear once you'd had a baby? I'm pretty sure I had my first one at my 8 week postpartum checkup (I'd have been 20 at the time) and I've had 2 more since and I'm only 27.
    What an awful waste of your friends life :( especially as it could so easily have been prevented if someone had taken 5 minutes to test her.

Get your smears done ladies, it's really really not that bad, certainly nothing the Nurse hasn't seen before.

18. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Is there no one who can go with u? All gps surgeries have a chaperone policy, request a 2nd nurse comes in with you.

19. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Seriously try not to be embarrassed, Drs and nurses have seen it all before and few of them are perfect themselves ... I speak as an ex nurse here ;)

I've helped with loads of smears in maternity and honestly, never batted an eye at any woman, you just make them as comfortable as you can and get the job done!

Make your appointment, get the results and then hopefully (and there is every chance you will be able to) forget about it for the next 3 years :thumbup1:

Good luck, you'll be fine *Hugs*

20. Heather78

Heather78 PetForums Senior

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend xx
    I agree with everyone else and say you should always get them done. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer 2 years ago just before I got married, I had to have a radical hysterectomy which meant that me and my hubby couldn't have a child together but it had to be done. Been having regular 3 month check ups at the hospital which aren't very nice being prodded and looked at from all angles so still embarassing but again has to be done, and I'm luckily still in the clear. Don't be too worried about what the doctor or nurse might be thinking about you, they do it as a regular thing and see all shapes and sizes and whatnot :) xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice