Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Small toilet problem with Riley

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Cassie10, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Cassie10

Cassie10 PetForums Newbie

Hi all again
    Sorry for asking so many questions i just want to do right by Riley.
    The problem ive got and i have searched the forum but cant find anything, He will go to the toilet outside but he just will not open his bowels outside he will cry to come back home to have a poo. What can i do.

Thanks in advance
    Lyn

2. Puppy Love

Puppy Love PetForums Senior

Hi there

Snap !!! Our Irish setter does the same thing. I have been told this is when they are at there most vulnerable so it may take time. Im not sure what to do either. I have put some of her poo in the garden but its not made any difference.

Then today we had her on the beach (another posting - re car sick) and she had a wee and a poo - we where so pleased with her for this. I do hope we can get it right just like you want. Best of luck with Riley.

Sorry I cant help

Puppy Love

3. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

HI lyn It takes time thats all , they dont all get it in a few days and depends on how the breeder delt with toilet training and if she had already started off with the basics or if you have a real novice . most pups will go several times a day about 20 mins after eating , as you should have your pup on about 4 small feeds a day this should give you at least 4 opertunities to get it right , you need to watch for the body language often they will mooch round for a min sniffing the floor or keep trying to go somewhere quiet out of your sight . Any of these signs encourage him out side with a treat or just lots of praise . Dont be fooled by the crying to go indoors keep him out till he goes it wont take long but you must stick to your guns most prolonged toilet training is due to the owner not keeping up with routine . dont scold him for going in the house but do praise him for going in the garden .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice