Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Small Siamese Kitten - Advice Needed Please.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Esemais, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Esemais

Esemais PetForums Member

Hello, I'm new to the forum but not new to cat ownership (well they own me!). I have a siamese male kitten, he's 6 months old, but only weighs five pounds. Can anyone advise as to what a 6 month old usually weighs?

He's been seen by the vet, he got neutered last week. And they commented that he was quite small for his age.

The thing is he's not that interested in dried food, just wet. And although he will happily eat it, three pouches of wet food is quite a lot of dinner to get through when you're a tiny boy so he usually only manages 2 or 2 and a half. His weight has stayed at 5 for over a month now.

Anything I can give him to supplement his food?

Thanks for any advice given.

2. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum

Cant comment about his weight as not a meezer owner but there are plenty on here who will be along soon. Well it's a good thing he likes wet food as it is much better for him than dry. What brand of wet food are you feeding him?

Ps some pictures would be nice :(

3. Esemais

Esemais PetForums Member

And I've just realised this is in the wrong bit! Sorry.

4. Esemais

Esemais PetForums Member

Hi, thanks.

I'll sort some photos out. :)

I'm feeding him Hills tender chunks and applaws tins. He's getting a bit bored of the Hills now really, so I'm going to try him on Royal Canin kitten instinctive.

I did buy some food from zooplus but even though I ordered poultry the composition was mostly beef, and my cats hate beef so it went untouched.

5. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Well the hills is not the best food and the applaws is only complementary so should only make up to 20% of a cats food. Given he is a young kitten I wouldn't personally feed that much of it.

Raw food is a great way of getting weight on cats and there are many better foods on zooplus that don't contain beef

Eg Grau, catz, feringa that are much better quality than the hills or indeed the RC

6. Esemais

Esemais PetForums Member

I'll have a look at those brands, thanks. He only likes chicken and turkey things really. I don't give him applaws everyday, just a couple of times a week. I know hills isn't the greatest, but given the choice I had locally it had the highest meat content. The Animomda stuff I bought which was well rated didn't even get the slightest bit of interest. And I guess because he's tiny I've been reluctant to mess about with his food, as I know he'll eat it.

7. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I've moved your thread to health and nutrition :)
    As a Siamese owner and breeder I would say your boy is within the normal range of weights for his age. Vets will often give an average weight for a kitten without taking the breed into consideration. However I would be more concerned by the fact that he isn't gaining weight.
    I do know what you mean by not wanting to mess with his diet if he is eating and you are concerned about his weight. Many cats don't like the pate types of food to start with and find the chunks in things like Hill's or Royal Canin much easier to eat. Have you looked at HiLife or Natures Menu? Both are pate types but much softer than Animonda or Bozita for example.

8. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

I've just moved from Hills to Natures Menu and my 7 month cat loves it. It has a high meat content and you can buy a box of 12 from Pet Supermarket with free delivery so not too much of a commitment. They delivered within 2 days too. Hi Life is available at most supermarkets too (just in case you do decide to move to something else that is easily available)

9. Esemais

Esemais PetForums Member

Thanks for moving it, much appreciated.

I am concerned that his weight has stalled. This is the second time now, he didn't seem to gain at around four months either. It's just so much wet food for him to have to get through, three pouches is a lot when he's mini, you can see that he's getting fed up, that's why I treat him to the applaws. He loves applaws and gobbles it up. I'll have a look at hi life and natures menu, if they are poultry they will probably interest him.

Thanks for the advice.

10. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

I feed 4 times a day and warm up the food that he been in the fridge (only for a few seconds). That seems to help. A whole pouch at once is a bit much to cope with when they are little. Natures Menu and Hi Life both come in chicken flavours. Definitely worth a try. Good luck

11. Esemais

Esemais PetForums Member

Thanks. I think I'll try natures menu. I did look on pet supermarket the other day, but think they only had 48's then, I'll have another look. I've not had much success with hi life with my adult cats. But I guess the mini one could be different.

12. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Oh yes, you're right, they only do kitten in 48s. I am feeding a mixture of adult and kitten food as my cat is half Bengal and almost 4kg so my vet advised me to move on to adult, despite him only being 7 months. I bought the adult food from pet supermarket and the kitten from my local pet shop. If you email Natures Menu they will send you some samples.

13. Esemais

Esemais PetForums Member

Bearing in mind that he's small....and that he's eating only wet food so getting lots of moisture from it. Would peeing 6-7 times a day be normal?

I lost my beautiful siamese cat to congestive heart failure in April. And now I think I'm being a bit paranoid about stuff. I know he will wee more that my adult cats, that's obvious. But I don't think I expected him to wee this much.

He's playing like a maniac, doesn't seem ill, eating his dinner.

14. Esemais

Esemais PetForums Member

Thanks for the help. I'll hunt for somewhere else with free shipping. Might email them too.

15. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum fellow siamese slave :)
    Come join us in here when you have a chance http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-chat/240643-we-siamese-if-you-please.html

So sorry about your previous meezer. I lost my 4 year old foster boy Alfie to heart failure last year. Is this new kitten from the same breeder?
    Lets see a photo :)

16. Esemais

Esemais PetForums Member

Thankyou, no a different breeder. He's my second siamese, I also have an oriental too, and an elderly DSH.

Sorry to read about Alfie, it's a terrible disease, came as such a shock to us. We took him to the vet three times because of weightloss, then he went into heart failure. Medication and lots of care gave us an extra five months with him thankfully, and most of that five months was good, he was very special.

I'll check out the thread thanks. And I'll sort a photo out.

17. ArchieandMolly

ArchieandMolly PetForums Member

Hi Esemais,

Just wondering how often you feed your kitten - perhaps giving him smaller helpings but more often would help if you think he needs more food? We have a very small, young rescue moggy (Molly). She's nearly 11 months old but we still feed her 4 meals a day - and although she looks like she'll always be a very small cat she's put on lots of muscle and is now quite solid for her size. She has a combination of raw (about 2/3 of her diet) and high meat content wet food (including Nature's Menu - adult and kitten food) which I switched her onto soon after we got her - the change in her appearance and overall condition was very noticeable within a few weeks.

18. Esemais

Esemais PetForums Member

Hello ArchieandMolly.

I'm feeding him four times a day at the moment. I did try three, but he was overfaced by that. He has eaten a pouch already today, two more to go. He plays like a maniac, four hours with a bit of paper yesterday, in the end I had to take it off him so he got some rest.

I know raw is the smart choice, but...I'm a vegetarian, the smell and look of meat makes me ill. I can only just about cope with catfood. I need to find a good quality complete food.

After reading on here natures menu does sound the right choice for him. Just hope he likes it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice