Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

small puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by pop pop, Jan 11, 2012.

1. pop pop

pop pop PetForums Member

hi again, just want to check something, my friends litter are now 10 days old and all seem to be doing great, question ive been asked though is, is it normal to get one puppy whos alot smaller than the rest? he was slightly smaller at birth but is staying very small, now although advised to weigh my friend hasnt been :rolleyes: but ive seen the pups nearly everyday and all are putting weight on quickly apart from the little one, hes eating fine,always on the back teats, and active, not limp or dehydrated or anything, he just isnt growing, ive attached a pic to try and show size difference.

Attached Files:

2. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

That is quite a difference! What breed are they? I know you said before, but I can't remember. It could just be a tiny puppy- I've had one in almost every litter, sometimes they catch up , sometimes they stay scarily small (and need an experienced home as they take a lot of extra care to keep healthy until they get older). But there could be an underlying issue- as long as it is active and gaining I'd say it would just be a tiny pup, but at the first sign of unexplained lethargy, I'd be getting it a blood test to be sure liver shunt or something wasn't a factor; stunted growth can be a sign.
    Saying that, missy had a tiny in each litter (3) and all are doing very well- but none grew bigger than 3.2lbs, so need extra attention and consideration even as adults- as pups they go downhill hard and fast if glucose levels are not constantly monitored- again, lethargy is the first sign, so high sugar content corn syrup or nectar (with NO xylitol what so ever!) will be needed kept on hand. None of this will be an issue until the litter start playing around a lot, then the tiny will need extra rest than the others... Just keep an eye and hopefully on solid foods it will have a growth spurt!
    I hope this has been of some use, but sounds like your friend may not pay enough attention to the extra care raising a tiny involves- hope I'm very wrong of course.

#2 kodakkuki, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  3. Quiddelbach

Quiddelbach PetForums Junior

My first litter was of 12, and they weighed between 7oz and 15oz.

I had one at 7oz, 1 at 15 and the majority weighed 11 or 12.

The only thing I did was ensure little one was always on a back teat, by the time they were 7 weeks she was one of the biggest.

I kept her as she was the pick bitch, and she now is a strapping 31kg, at least 4 inches taller than her mum and you would never guess she was the tiny. :D

4. pop pop

pop pop PetForums Member

thanks for the replies, think the reason my firend didnt weigh them each day is because the mum is been very protective and seems to get quite stressed when you handle the pups so was just watching from a distance if that makes sense, mum is getting better now but still seems quite worried if anyone goes to close to the pups, glad to hear he should catch up with time, hes realy greedy and as i say always on the back teats x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice