Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

small problem...

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by AceRoguePhoenix, Apr 16, 2011.

1. AceRoguePhoenix

AceRoguePhoenix PetForums Junior

i hope i have put this in the right place

I know im probably going to get an ear bashing for this but please i just want advice on what should i do next...

My eldest cat as 11 months and is an indoor cat... i was in the kitchen and the kitchen door was left open she has NEVER gone outside before so didnt see this as a problem... so my two year old fell over today and as you do i went to se to my two year old and again stupid me left the back door open... after about 15 mins (i genuinly thought she was in the house as she has never taken an intrest in going out) i went into the garden to pick up a toy that was left outside and there comes Rogue climbing over our little gate (its withing out garden the little fence seprates the grass and slabbed area) i can only assume two things one she was just having a nose in our garden or two (and im really not sure) she has possibly mated with a male cat (there are quite a few cats around my area that like to sit in my garden)

i really dont know what to do other than wait till however long to take her to the vets (how long do you wait)

please i know im possibly going to get an earbashing for not watching her more carefully but im going to be honest as i said in my post she has never taken an intrest before when the back door has been open (she just walks past dont even look) and my two year old fell over so my concentration wasnt on Rogue for a couple of munites...

2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Get her to the vets on Monday for a checkup with a view to spaying her this week. No harm no foul :)

At least you're seeking advice now, and not when it's too late.

3. AceRoguePhoenix

see cos i never forsore that she would go out i always thought she would be an indoor cat i never was smart enough to think about neutring her... (if this makes sense) we thought about it then thought "well shes an indoor cat so whats the harm"???

oh how stupid i was... :eek:

4. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Cats that are not spayed have an increased risk of cancer and heat is really uncomfortable for cats, so should be spayed regardless.

As Aurelia said, get her spayed asap and no harm done.

5. AceRoguePhoenix

yeah i will do...

thanks...

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Well at least you have come to the right place for advice now!
    As Aurelia says, book her in to the vet straight away and it will all be sorted. Even if she was to be a totally indoor cat, she would have come into 'call' which is annoying for you ( noisy) and very uncomfortable for the cat.

7. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

cant add more, neutering isnt just for pregnancy its for mental and health issues that are not to do with breeding.

vets and neuter, nothing more to say/add :)

8. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

9. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

****Breathes a long sigh of relief*****

If only all threads like this had the same outcome.

OP you rock for taking on our advice. I promise you that your girl will thank you for it. Not only that but you will once again have a very loving cat. No doubt if she has been in call recently you will know what I mean by that. If she hasn't you've had a lucky escape :lol:

To me a calling cat is like a cat with a mental illness :eek:

10. AceRoguePhoenix

ok so i have done some reading and by Rogue being on heat she would be meowing like MAD and rubbing herself EVERYWHERE!!!

which none of these she has been doing... :huh:

so is it possible i had a lucky escape???

now saying that she has been a bit diffrent today (before she got out aswell) let me explain... when we got Rogue obviously my 4 girls showered her with affection and attention but we a couple of days ago got a new dog (im a sucker for punishment) and when i go to fuss her she just want to play fight could this be cos she annoyed at me usually when she is annoyed at me shell come so close to me but not close enough for me to touch her but now she wants to play fight is she being like i said angry with me or is she just jelous of the attention hes getting and not her???

any ideas???

11. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

As for having a lucky escape, maybe, it is hard to tell really but I would still get her to the vets and get her spayed, regardless :)

She will act differently as there is upheaval in the household, which a new puppy certainly is. The puppy will need to be taught to respect the kitty. How was the cat with your Border Collie?

12. AceRoguePhoenix

she was fine with him when she first met him obviously she was weary at first but she got used to him jumping around and being a typical border collie... and i know this is going to cause a MAJOR annoyance but the border collie was rehomed to my inlaws about 2 months ago (had this disscusion on another thread had my telling off)

i jsut dont know

but i will call my vets tommrow to see if they can see her tommrow or monday (im losing my track of days here)

13. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

She could be a silent caller, or she could have come out of call soon after mating so you wouldn't notice.

It's safer for her if you presume she has mated and stick to your guns and get her spayed this next week. Her recovery will be much better if you don't delay. The last thing this country needs is another littler of moggies :)

14. AceRoguePhoenix

that would make sense... (shes 11 months old now and i have actually never experienced her "being in heat" the way its been described so many times everywhere) WEIRD!!!:confused:

but no your right i will give the vets a call and get this sorted im the kind of person that prevention is the best cure and i agree we dont need any more unwanted cats in this world...

15. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

From what you have said there is certainly no reason to think she has been mated. Get her spayed, obviously. Just one thing though, you have stress for her there in the form of a dog she is not yet used to. She needs to be given safe space away from the dog while she is recovering from the operation.

Liz

16. AceRoguePhoenix

i will get her spayed but yes she has lofts of safe places to go she can go upstairs where a dog is confined to downstairs... (the joy of stairgates)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice