Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Small Lump in Tail - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Madds, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Madds

Madds PetForums Newbie

Hi there!

First things first: I know people's opinions and advice here will never substitute a vet check-up - which I definitely plan on taking, however, while I look for local practices with appropriate reptile knowledge that aren't being affected by lockdown, I just wanted to make sure it's not something totally normal in the anatomy of a corn snake that I just don't know about.

Okay, with that out of the way, I wanted to ask if a tiny, pea-sized lump (probably smaller than that), is normal at the side of a corn snake's cloaca?
    My snake, Crowley, is around 1.6 years old. A little while ago, she (or he?) seemed to hold in her poop due to an upcoming shed for almost three weeks. It was a pretty stressful time, so I made sure to mist her enclosure and get her moving, in an attempt to speed things along. During this period, while putting her back in her viv, I felt a small lump in her tail as she slithered out of my hand. The next day, I checked her over, but I couldn't find it and thought I just made a mistake.

Tonight, I felt it again. It seems there's a tiny lump in line with her cloaca, but on the side of her tail. It is tiny, but hard and firm beneath the snakes. You can barely see it with the naked eye. I gave it a tiny press, and she pulled her tail away as though I startled her. A couple mins later, she had her regular, weekly poop. I thought that maybe it was the poop I was feeling, but, when I checked, the lump is still there (possibly a tad smaller - but I think that might be wishful thinking).
    Is it, therefore, just something that corn snakes have before/after they go, or is it unnatural?

I apologise if I sound foolish asking, and I will take her to a vet if needed, but I wanted to just check it wasn't a regular snake thing I just have never heard of, with her being my first reptile.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice