Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

small holdings

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by piggybaker, Aug 15, 2009.

1. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

do any of you keep your own live stock, chicken pigs extra,,

you know a bit of a good life turn out?

Thinking very seriously of doing this have a wonderful back garden that has a good size area at the top to cater for chickens and some live stock.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Id love to do this. I think is be useless though, as i dont eat meat so all the animals would be pets.

There is someone a few mins drive from me that has done just this. They have chickens, pigs, donkeys, horses, ducks, geese and a few others. They sell eggs to the public as well as some meat products and firewood.

They also breed coloured cobs.

3. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

we grow our own veg, in our last house we use to haave chicken, ducks and turkeys and 1 nanny goat.
    They didnt make it to the pot though lol we got them when they were babies so stupidly i named them lol so in the end decided we couldnt eat them.
    The eggs were great though :D

4. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

I wasn't going to put on here what the piggy was for, but my family are not vegatarians,

I just want to eat good food and i do worry about the tommy rot food that are feeding to the animals to bulk them out quick, and to be honest i am not going to support this any more,,

My sister has been keeping chickens for a year now, as pets and takes the eggs, but my neice is a farm girl through and through and keeps chicken, geese,goats Tom and Barbra LOL they are so cute, she has already had one pig and now has a new one, and to be honest I liked what i saw and want to take this step, growing what i am going to eat, farm shops do end up getting expensive.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

The main reason i dont eat meat is because of the ways they are bred, reared and slaughtered. Id probably eat if if i saw it had a good quality, natural life, before it was killed.

I grew up on a farm, have seen animals killed, and have killed them myself, just not sure i could do it now. I think ive become sentimental in my old age :eek:

Id happily go hunting (for food, not fun) and im hopefully going next year to hunt moose and reindeer.

6. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Not sure how your neighbours would feel with pigs in your garden they really make a scream at feed times, a few chickens are ok as long as you dont get a cockrel :eek: but unless you can sell the eggs dont get too many tho fresh eggs laid that day are lovely, they can also go offlay in cold/winter, but should still lay a bit if you make em a broth with all your left over/going off veg and peelings, I save all mine for my friend, it warms them, they love it and it keeps them laying better in the cold. I'd def go for grow your own if you can.
    I dont do all this but best mate does (she has about an acre) and her veg tastes great she picks it for me while I'm there and its in the pots within a day or two if you eat fennel and want to grow your own best off only using half the fennel you normally would as the aniseed taste is stronger when used the day its picked. You'll never eat supermarket veg again.

7. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

we do grow our own veg, but this year the bloo*y fox dig most of it up making itself a den,, not going to happen next time,

I only want 4 chickens anyway and as for the neighbours, to be honest i really don't care!!!, they are just a pain in the neck, teenage kids trooping in day and night, but the pig probable won't affect them to much as it will be right at the end of the garden,,

But before we get any of these animals I want all the defra paper work in place and all the sty and house sorted, so if they complain i have every thing in place so they can't disrupt my life anymore than they normally do.

They are the sort of people who will send round the RSPCA and council, aready had the council round for my guineas, and even the council said what a waste of time the call out had been.

8. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I would love to do something like this but I would have to do a lot of research first I wouldn't have a clue how to raise a pig or grow vegetables Total city girl here

9. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I would love to have a small holding just an acre or so would do me. Enough to have kennels for my dogs with great big runs for them to play in and a few chickens in a run at the bottom. They would have to be in a run with whippets and greyhounds on the prowl:eek:. Some ex battery hens would be nice and maybe a pet sheep.

10. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

I'd love to have a small holding, it is my plan for when im older and i cant wait. also want land for horses but i think the amount of animals i want itd be a full time job looking after them lol i think id get too attached to kill and eat them they would just be pets. ex battery hens are a deff anyway.

11. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Just to add, my friend also keeps ducks, some of them fed us last xmas. We now only have duck when shes got some ready for the pot, free range fed on what we all provide (veg and peelings etc) taste is un bloody believable, you'd never eat supermarket duck again. Would like to add here that ducks eat twice as much as chickens so are nowhere near as cheap to feed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice