Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

small hard lump

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by dodigna, Jul 2, 2010.

1. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

HI, I have noticed a small hard lump (say coffee bean size) on Ray's rear end. It's approax 1.5" to the side of the base of his tail. It doesn't seem to bother him one bit, even lets me feel it a bit. It's hard to see if it has a puncture but there doesn't seem to be one so I doubt insect bite, skin is all normal on top and whatever it is seems quite low below the skin. Doesn't move either.

He is due a vet check up and injections, but have been delaying it due to the fact his nerves have been proven this week and he is quite tense, the vet would be quite an ordeal right now. Even though now I feel the pressure is on with this lump :(

Any idea what it could be? Thank you :)

2. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Hi there sorry apart from thinking insect bite not sure im any help :confused: is there any chance you can just phone vet for advice :)

3. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Henry had a lump about the size of a coffee bean when he had a tick. I couldn't actually see where the tick had been attached after I had removed it. Sometimes it causes a localised infection under the skin, especially if the head has been left in. Usually goes down in about 2 weeks with Henry.

Hope it's something simple, but I'd get it checked asap if it were me.

Good luck!

4. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

Thank you, tick would make sense given the amount of high grass he has been in. I did frontline him in errm, may? Hope that is all it is.
    But vet is gonna have to be :(

5. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

well, I booked the vet! Roll in the valerian tablets to the dog till then!

6. rona

rona Guest

You never think it's a tick???
    How embarrassing if that's all it turns out to be :lol:

7. Agility Springer

Agility Springer PetForums VIP

Not embarrassing at all, its always best to get anything checked you are unsure of, as previously mentioned, it may be a localised infection from the tick bite and may require antibiotics, so the best thing all round is to get the lump checked.

Besides the OP is due a check up and booster ;)

8. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Dodigna - when is the vets? Would be interesting to know what they said.:)

9. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Hope its just a critter I hate them loads round here at the mo :mad: Been doing the frontline every 4 weeks on Holly & Banjo as she gave him one of hers :rolleyes: she's so thoughtfull :D

Good luck at the vets even if it is embarrasing ;)

10. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

If all it was is a tick, well bring on the tick!!!!
    The reason I don't think tick is because if feels quite hard and doesn't move at all. There is no redness to the skin, in fact seems well below the skin. I initially thought a bee sting as he rolls no end, but again there is nothing at skin level.
    It popped up suddenly, I am sure it wasn't there a week ago...

If it was an infection I should guess it would hurt if handled? Ray doesn't like being focused on so if it bothered him he would give me his stressed out face whenever we look/touch it, guess he is keeping that for the vet now :D

The vet is on Tuesday evening, for his booster any way, so it is handy this lump showed up when it did.

11. rona

rona Guest

Had a feeling it wasn't ;)
    Hopefully it just a cyst, Alfie has two.
    Is it very rounded or flat on top? Alfs are flat

12. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

flat! :) Like a coffee bean, size and shape. Some one else mentioned a cyst. I always thought a cyst would be soft and move so anything hard and stuck would be bad news... My (soon to be ex now) partner made me google it and I freaked out... Sorry to sound so neurotic :eek:

13. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Sorry if Im wrong but did you say under the skin? if so it wouldnt be a Tick as they are above the skin, could be a cyst tho Ted has a few and vet says they are harmless.

14. rona

rona Guest

Alfie's are flat and have a sort of rough top to them, they haven't grown for years, just stay where and how they appeared.
    Did it come up quickly?
    Nonnies Oscar has several on his back

15. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Teds are like that, sort of uneven on top? he has one on his back tho which makes grooming a bit tricky:eek:
    dont want to catch it.

16. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

No it's not rough (or uneven). This one is quite low, now that we now it's there we can see the hair is different were it is (a bit raised), but you don't see anything at skin level, no raised bit, you can only feel it. Seems attached to the muscle.

17. rona

rona Guest

It's new, I don't think I found Alfs for quite a while under all his hair and it had probably emptied a bit by then .
    Anyway, I wouldn't stress too much, chances are it's a cyst

18. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

It may be a cyst just starting :confused: our old BC had a couple on her back she would roll on sticks & make them bleed sometimes but apart from that they did'nt bother her so the vet advised against removeing them as she was 16. Hope you have a stress free visit on tuesday :)

19. findley

findley PetForums Member

Hi I am glad you are getting this checked. If you can get your hands around this and move it, hopefully it is a cyst or fatty lump. I would be a bit worried as it came up quick and it is hard. But the good thing is you are getting it checked. If it needs to be removed get it done while the dog is young (because of the anaesthetic) and while it is small that way there is plenty of skin to pull together. Hopefully it will turn out to be a wart!! Good luck with it.

20. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

Saw the vets yesterday and well, didn't really get a straight answer, but apparently it moves, which I am happy of and is still quite small, too small to try and poke for cells with the likability to miss the target, what with an infuriated dog as well, he would have to go totally under :rolleyes:

So two weeks lump watch, if it gets any bigger we go back and re-assess, don't tell Ray that it was hard enough to go the once... :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice