Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Small growth filled with blood

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jano432, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

I posted here this week that my cat had a growth inside her ear which she kept scratching at and making bleed.

I got her an Elizabethan collar to stop her doing this but the slightest touch is making it bleed.

As I explained she is 19 and I am not sure that I want to put her through an op and so was hoping if anyone could give me any idea what this is and how I can help her without putting her through stress she just doesn't need.

Its like pimple which is engorged with blood and I would imagine that the flesh is under pressure so the slightest thing "bursts" it. Then it fills up again.

We are under the impression that this will never heal and we will have to take her to the vets, though that is my very last resort.

She let me bathe it today and let me squeeze the blood out but it filled up again very soon after. One empty it was like a deflated balloon between my fingers.

I have been putting antiseptic wound powder on to try to stop it getting infected. She has this collar which stops her touching it but I am not sure what else to do.

Please, does anyone know from my description what this is called and if there is any alternative treatment to an op which at 19 I really don't want to put her through.

It is really small but once ruptured, bleeds a lot.

Thanks

Jan

2. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

any chance of a picture?

shadow used to scratch his neck until it was raw red, also his ears too but, hes not even two yet so there was not an issue with sedating him and doing biopsys etc

however the problem was never actually found
    treatment was given called atopica, he healed and I stopped using it, even though hes meant to be on it for life I didn't like the side effects and hes been scab for a good few months

3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Sounds like an abscess, how long has she had it? She probably wouldn't need an op, but she will need it drained by the vet so it can heal properly and given some medication. I would definitely take her to the vet because it can get infected if she doesn't get antibiotics and proper draining for it.

4. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

Don't think it is an abscess as they usually have puss as well as blood. This is just blood and I really don't think it hurts her as she will let me touch it.

Don't think a picture would work as it is on her head into her hear and probably too dark.

An friend of a friend who is a vet looked at it casually and quickly and said that it was a small growth and would require an op but I am wondering if there is any other way it could be healed. She is too old to have an op I think.

5. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

try soft claws
    may be able to lessen the damage
    worked for a while for my guy

6. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Haematoma - my retriever needed it draining, and she wore the lampshade for a week until it didn't fill up again. Simple short procedure, I wouldn't worry about the anaesthetic amount for that despite the cat being 19 as the procedure will be quick.

7. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

Hi Wiz

Well the name certainly fits but I looked those up on the internet and they seem to be inside the ear (the bit that sticks up!!) This is inside her ear on her head.

I feel that (and I know that this probably sounds stupid) I could put a piece of cotton around the base and tie it off. I am sure that this is not the correct procedure but that's what I feel may work.

Anyway I have made an appointment at the vets for tomorrow night to see what the advise is. At least she will get a shot to stop it becoming infected.

Jan

8. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

can you post a piccie?

9. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

If it is tiny, could they not use a local anaesthetic?

10. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Haematoma can be on the outside of the ear, too, though it is less common. What you describe fits in perfectly with this diagnosis.

11. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

I hope you are right and it can be sorted with a local. I dont think it hurts her or she woulnt let me touch it. Will let u know what vet says.

12. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

You were quite right, it is a heamatoma. The vet just cleanrd it and put a buster collar on in the hope that it heals if she leaves it alone. Suggested keeping it on for two weeks.

Do they heal up without an op?.

Cannot do local anaesthetic due to it being on the heaf ir at least the nodule where the ear joins the head.

Si here's hoping.

13. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

well hopefully leaving it alone might do some good, but if it remains filled with blood after two weeks I'd recommend risking a bit of anaesthetic just to drain it. Very quick procedure - is the cat healthy otherwise for her age?

14. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

Hi

Not sure what you mean by draining as when both I and the vet squeezed between our fingers the little growth emptied but filled up again. Would that not be the same as draining?

She has a heart murmur but is ok otherwise for her age. The vet also looked into her ear just incase there was an other reason for her to be scratching but all was well.

I hope that it does not come to an op.

Jan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice