Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Small Garden. Really a problem?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kayz, Aug 18, 2009.

1. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

We are currently researching dog breeds. We are not planning to get a pup until next year but are looking at breeds etc.

A few of the breeds we like are Border Collies, Labradors, English Pointers and Dalmatians. The problem we have is that everywhere says they need a big garden.

We have a small garden but are planning on doing a long walk everyday and 2/3 shorter walks a day. If they get a good walk and a good run does a big garden really make a difference.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I have a tiny garden, and two SBT's. Neither of mine spend much time out there, and if they do go, they lie in the sun and nothing more.

I see it as a place they can go to the toilet, rather than exercise. Aslong as you provide sufficient exercise outside the house, and plenty of mental stimulation inside, i dont really think garden size is an issue.

3. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

we have two border collies & only have a small front garden and teeny tiny back yard , never found it to be a problem as long as they get plenty of exercise outside & mental stimulation inside :)

4. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I think it is something that can be overcome with plenty of exercise and stimulation.

I don't have the biggest garden (not for 5 dogs) but am lucky enough to be able to open my gate straight onto a playing field so can get around it that way. Plus I take them out for a good couple of hours a day walking too.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

OOOooo, snap! :D

6. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Mine are the same, they don't really play or exercise in the garden, just lay about. They use all their energy up on walks :D

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

One of mine sleeps pretty much all day (he's 11) then on his walk he's a total loon. I swear he conserves everything he can, just so that he can zoom around everywhere.

If my two do ever play, its in the living room. They wont go outside unless someone goes with them.

8. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

When i get my pup (A sheltie) I wont have a big garden either, just a place to go to the toilet and lie in the sun (as nonnie said) But the advantage is that i live in the countryside, and lots of parks and beaches are around, so that will be perfect! :D

9. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Thats good then. We have loads of places near us where they can walk and go off lead once recall trained.

10. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

lol, I actually feel hard-done-by with the house we're in , its ex-council (I grew up in this house , bought it off my Dad) and every single house in this street (bar my next door neighbour on the corner, their yard is smaller than ours) has an enormous back garden , and I mean huge , with a small front garden ... and ours only has a poxy yard

no fair , lol

11. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Max and kenzo like to play together right on top of me :eek:ut: They were playing yesterday and sent me flying, then looked at me as if to say what are you doing on the floor!! :eek:

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Mine wrestled on my bed, they do it everyday after breakfast for about an hour. Ive learnt to keep my distance :D

13. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

i dont have a garden as such so i dont think ti matters no :)

mine get plenty of walks and simulation that they dont need a garden, we have a open patio sort of thing that they play on if we are out side

14. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I dont think the size of your garden is an issue at all when getting a dog as long has you have somewhere your dog can go for toilet inbetween walks, a big garden is never a substitute for a walk, so given the correct walks and excercise the size of garden doesnt matter.

15. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I know someone who does not have a garden, but has two perfectly happy border collies!
    She works part time, the dogs have loads and loads of mental stimulation and exercise.
    Both dogs have been trained to use a dog flap and a 'lotter box' on her secure balcony.

So no, I don't think having a tiny garden makes any difference. As long as you provide your dog with everything it needs :)

x

16. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I have a small garden and i have 6 dogs all working breeds. Im lucky to have an area out the front where i can play ball with them and we have the meadows at the bottom of the hill which is 5 minutes walk away

17. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

We have woods and fields. Also right next to the North Yorks Moors and near the beach so once I have passed my driving test we can go there too.

18. bird

bird PetForums VIP

As long as the dog gets the the exercise/stimulation it needs you could live in a studio flat and it really wouldnt matter, anyway bigger gardens just mean more weeding/mowing etc :D :D

19. benji123

benji123 PetForums Newbie

I have a dalmation and i dont think you need a large garden but they need lots of exercise every day. if you get a dalmation they are lovely natured (we have had 5) but you have to start off very firm or they will be mental:D!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice