Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Small flat + bored cat = constant meowing. Help!?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by SloopJB, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I do think buying a tall cat tree would be very helpful for anyone with limited space. I got one in my bedroom and my 2 most active cats spend hours there every night and during the evening, they love relaxing in the hammocks! Cats feel much more relaxed when they can rest up high.

sandy-cat likes this.
  2. SloopJB

SloopJB PetForums Newbie

Hi!

When I posted this, I was about halfway through my 6-month lease in the studio, which I am now finishing and am moving into a much bigger 1-bed property at the beginning of October. The studio is just very small for myself in terms of storage and living happily, but with my cat as well it is even more difficult as he has struggled.

The new place has separate rooms for him, big windows, a stairwell for him to run up and down - so while it is a dream place for me, it is definitely one that he will love to.

Over the last few months, I have taken him to the Vet, bought him toys and calming sprays/plugs/etc., I did invest in a cat tree a month ago which he loves, but we still have the mornings of meows unfortunately. I think a big factor is that I do have a very curious cat, he does love to prowl around and explore his surroundings, look out the window and 'talk' to people -- and this place I live now just doesn't offer that to him.

One thing that I did start doing a bit ago that has helped more than anything -- I am mixing wet and dry food together, and feed him half a bag of wet-food in the evening before bed (mixed with dry food), and then I mix the other half of the wet-food with dry and place it in a locked bowl that opens around 4AM so he can eat and can help him relax in the mornings when he usually is meowing.
    This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Mate-C...4N0MH0PA13G&psc=1&refRID=FXZP681TT4N0MH0PA13G

We have some good weeks where I get great nights sleep and he is peaceful and perfect, and others where it's like living with a newborn! The change was needed for both myself and him, but there have been some tips in here that have helped ease the boredom for him! Definitely have a read through.

Hope your situation gets better too :) Let me know if you need anything else!

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@SloopJB - I am glad to hear that your cat is happier now, and that you are moving into a bigger place. :)

For the safety of your cat, it is best not to mix dry food with wet food and leave it in a timed autofeeder. Dry food (kibble) is not sterilised (as wet food is) and is often contaminated by bacteria and fungal mycotoxins which are activated when the dry food becomes wet. If the mixture of wet and dry food is to be eaten immediately it is served that is OK but if it sits around for several hours e.g. in an autofeeder, the levels of bacteria and fungus will be too high to be healthy for your cat.

Gallifreyangirl and sandy-cat like this.
  4. SloopJB

SloopJB PetForums Newbie

Thank you for this! I actually had no idea as I've never seen any comments on that!

If I mix wet and dry food for him and he eats all the wet food first and leaves dry food to go back to later -- is that still dangerous too??

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If the dry food has been put on top of the wet food or been mixed with it, then the dry will have become damp and the bacteria will have been activated. It is best to serve the dry in a separate dish when you are leaving it in a timed feeder.

sandy-cat and Soozi like this.
  6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Really hope you and your cat will be happy in your new home.

Kudos to you for keeping going in a difficult situation and coming out (both of you) on the other side.

The only way now is up....

Treaclesmum likes this.
  7. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums VIP

So pleased with you trying everything and wanted to wish you luck in your new place @SloopJB

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice