Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

small dogs and food

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kittybunny, Apr 25, 2011.

1. kittybunny

kittybunny PetForums Newbie

i have a chihuahua and she wont eat dog food at all,
    does anyone eles have this problem my friend has a small dog too and has the same problem i have been giving her cat food and those thick sausage things chopped up into tiny cubes (the only way she will eat them)
    any advice?

2. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I have a small dog and he eats dog food as that is all ive ever given him, i would not allow him to be a fussy eater, cat food is really not good for dogs, please try your dog on a good dog food, not giving anything else, put food down for 10 mins if not eaten take the food away, then feed again in evening doing the same, unless your dog is unwell i am sure it will start to eat normally

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

What sort of dog food have you tried feeding her?

I don't think cat food is good for dogs, and she's unlikely to be getting all the things she needs if she is eating cat food and sausages.

There are lots of options for dog food - you could feed dry and wet together if she won't eat dry on it's own, or you could feed just wet. Personally I've had success with my fussy dog by heating the wet food up for her so it isn't stone cold and smells nicer. Some people swear by raw for fussy dogs too.

There are lots of different foods on the market, but you need to make sure you get a good quality one rather than a supermarket brand (there are lots of threads in the nutrition section about good foods). Also remember that she won't starve herself - she might need a bit of 'tough love' for a few days until she learns to eat what is put down for her.

Good luck :)

ETA: I don't think this is really a 'small dog' problem - there are lots of fussy dogs out there. But I think it's easy to 'baby' a small dog (I know, I have one myself :eek:) and that's when problems start :)

4. kittybunny

kittybunny PetForums Newbie

hey thanks for your advice

i really have tried every combination
    i have given her biscuit food, hot and cold, the biscuits that develop a gravy sauce, hot and cold, all kinds of diiferent brands of wet food, cheap and expensive, for small and large dogs, i baught some expensive pellet food from the vets that he reccomended, she wouldent eat, and its hard enough to even get her to eat cat food sometimes, i could leave it there all day and it wont get eaten, my partner has suggested that maybe she only need to eat a few times a week and that she is not eating because she isnt hungery but im not too sure, she seems to want what we eat, but i dont give her beacuse i dont want her greedy, i know cat food isnt good for her but i dont know what eles to do :(, she eats a little tin of chicken sheeba every day if im lucky, i might take her to the vets again and see if he can suggest anything elesa and ill have a good read of the dog nutrition section, my other dog eats fine, thankies :)

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

It can be worrying when they don't eat :(

Taking her to the vet is a good idea just to rule out that there isn't a problem. She does need to eat everyday, not just every few days like your partner suggested. Cat food and dog food are fairly similar so it seems strange that she will eat cat food but not dog food.

Do bear in mind that vets don't usually have a lot of nutritional knowledge. A lot of vets suggest a food that their clinic sells and often they are not the best foods at all, but the clinic makes money or gets something for selling that particular food.

If the vet can't find anything wrong with her, I'd find a good quality wet food like Naturediet, Nature's menu, Wainwrights, Lily's Kitchen and put a little down for her. If she doesn't eat it in 15 minutes, pick it up again and then she gets NOTHING, not even treats, until the next meal time. It may take a few days but when she is really hungry, she'll eat! But you do need to stop the cat food. Also I know it's hard but try not to make a big issue about food as she may be picking up on your anxiety about it. Put the food down and whether she eats or not, just ignore it.

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Just stick to your guns. Find a food you like and work out the correct amount for her size (little dogs really do eat tiny amounts normally) then put it down for 10 minutes and take it up if not eaten.
    I doubt she will go for more then 24-48 hours without giving in and eating!! My Chihuahuas have Burns mini bites kibble in the morning and raw in the evening. Often one of the Chi's doesnt want to come in from the garden for breakfast. In that case the food goes away and they have to wait til supper time.;)

7. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Stop feeding cat food, it is nutritionally wrong for dogs, and can cause upset in their systems.

Do as others have suggested, as putting food down for 10 mins in morning, 10 mins in evening. Only put say half the reccomended amount per mealtime to try to waste less, but if she starts eating up the portions slightly.

Dogs need to eat daily, either once or twice a day, I'd go twice for a little dog.

Does she eat more if you are in the kitchen with her, or when you are outside? Mine prefers to eat in peace, or as long as you are ignoring her doing something else, she will eat.

8. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

this really is good advise. my little 'big' dog has just come through the other side of being fussy (again) on what he will and wont eat and like McKenzie says above put a little down, wait for 15, if your dog doesnt eat it pick it up and try again at the next meal time. mine went for 3 days without eating anything. i too went through the oh my god he will die, what if there actually is something wrong stage but if i rattled the biscuit tin that threw any thoughts like that out of the window as he would be there in a flash.
    just stick with it and do not feed treats between meals as your dog could be filling up with those x good luck

9. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

Domino would not eat dog food, he used to refuse his food after 5 day of not eating I took him to the vets and they said he had to eat something so we tried human food which he ate.

At long last he is eating dried dog food, he is on Arden Grange Mini Bites for adults and loves it. He has put on weight and is doing really well.

Val xx

10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Have you tried naturediet wet food. The sensitive and the lamb are very popular as is Wainwrights wet from Pets at home. Lilys kitchen is expensive but I bet she would tuck into that.
    If you are able to get to Pets at Home they have an exchange policy whereby they will refund or exchange if your dog doesnt like it so that would give you plenty of chance to try lots of different things and not leave you out of pocket either.
    My in-laws used to feed both their yorkies on whiskas. They lived to a ripe old age but it's not something I would recommend or do myself.
    Hope you manage to find a dog food she will eat.

11. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

Clover is a Yorkie/chi x and was exactly the same. You really need to stick to your guns. I feed clover Raw now and she loves it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice