Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Small Dog Chew Toys

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Animal Freak, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Animal Freak

Animal Freak PetForums Member

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for good chew toys for small dogs that would actually last. Stella is apparently a stronger chewer than small dogs are supposed to be because I've struggled finding any toys that last her. Really, any recommendations would be appreciated, chew toy or not. Hard rubber is the only thing that lasts, but it's not really the most interesting thing to her. Her favorite toys, of course, are soft stuffed toys that she rips apart in a matter of minutes (or seconds sometimes). But I really need replacement chews for her right now. She was getting antlers and quite likes them, but unfortunately she fractured two teeth (fortunately neither needed to be pulled). The antlers are the only thing we can think of that would've done that. But most small dog toys are too weak for her and anything that could last is basically the same size as her. Even as a puppy, she'd get Nylabones and have them down to little nubs rather quickly though those may have been the puppy Nylabones. I'm not sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Non-edible chews is one of the areas where what products are available really seems to depend on whether you're in North America or Europe. I have American friends who recommend bamboo fibre based chews.

3. Animal Freak

Ah, I didn't realize they were so different. I'll have to look into it.

4. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

B and M have bamboo dog bones £1.99, don't know if these are any good?

Torin. likes this.
  5. Animal Freak

I'll have to take a look. Thank you.

6. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Wait, have I got confused? I thought you were in the US @Animal Freak? Or are you not, if you're looking in B&M? I wouldn't have mentioned America otherwise.

I didn't learn that until this year, and alas with lockdown I've been unable to look. But once that's an option again :D

7. Animal Freak

I am in the U.S., but haven't look into this stuff before so I don't know what's available. I found Bam-bones, but there were reviews of dogs breaking their teeth on them too. Of course now I'm paranoid about this since Stella managed to fracture two teeth. I didn't want just edible chews that she'd constantly be eating, but that seems to be about all there is that won't break their teeth.

8. Alec Littlejohn

Alec Littlejohn PetForums Newbie

Have you tried the Skinny Peltz? They are pretty good for my pup. They are not the most durable but they are stuffing free which is nice. Or since you said stella doesn't love rubber so you could also try the Tuffy Ultimate Ring. Its essentially a soft toy but extremely durable.

9. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

Hi I bought a coffee wood chew for my dog it’s lasted a long time, also edible things that las a while are his calf hooves.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice