Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Small crusty patches top of kittens back paws

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Thorster29, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Thorster29

Thorster29 PetForums Newbie

Hi. We have a 5 month old kitten who we adopted from a rescue around 4 weeks ago
    Within a day of being home she started sneezing a lot. That eased slightly but never went away and yesterday her one eye got weepy and winky and so off we went to the vets today.
    Vet said she has a slight temperature (but could have been stress of going to the vet). She thought it likely that she’d caught the feline herpes virus and so this could keep recurring. No ulcers in eyes on examination. No cough.
    She also pointed out something I’d not spotted - a crusty patch of skin (she called it an ulcer type patch) on the top of her back paw near where the claw comes out. She said since it wasn’t bothering her she wouldn’t treat it with anything but she seemed to be saying it could be related to the herpes?
    When I got home I went to show my husband, looked at the wrong back paw and realised there is a similar but much smaller patch on the other back paw. So two patches. I’m more worried now but the vets are closed for the day.
    Tbh I’m worried for the kitten but also our other cat and us if it’s something that could be catching like ringworm. I know I might sound dramatic but my young daughter has psoriasis and so we have enough of a daily skin battle as it is.
    Could this be related to herpes, ringworm, something else? I’d like to think that if it was ringworm the vet would have spotted that even from just one patch.....?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Thorster29 and welcome :)

It doesn't sound like ringworm (which often starts on the face or head and has round bald patches) .

There are various fungal infections and bacterial infections that can affect a cat's paws and claws. It would be best if the vet were to take some skin scrapings from the patches and also some from the claws in the affected feet, and send them to the lab for a culture to be done. If your kitten has an infection of some sort then it can be treated with antibiotics or antifungal drugs whichever is required.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice